Tech tutorials

AvvY

It seems that this site gets asked similar questions time and time again. Most people (sometimes including myself) seem to neglect to use the search function on the forum to find threads which cover their specific problem/issue.

I am thinking that maybe some members should compile a list of the most commonly asked question in each board and write a tutorial which guides through the problem. I understand in many cases it will be different as each system/setup is different, but there would be a number which could work, such as a tutorial about codec's in the multimedia forum for example.

I understand we are a forum and thus we are actively and always helping in each given newly posted topic, but perhaps having a few stickied tutorial threads could help out and lessen the load of having the same question posted time and time again.

Late,

aarhus2004

Gone but always remembered
AvvY,
I sense you are thinking most appropriately and can only encourage you to continue to do so. I hope this post of yours encourages more exploration of the possibibility you raise. There is so much information here and sometimes it seems lost in the bulk.

And you are right; the same issues arise time and time again but the thread subjects seem to be poorly expressed with the result that though they have many points in common with many others they are not easily identifiable even when using the advanced search method.

It maybe that the search engine here, as elsewhere, errs on the side of many rather than few returns. I incline to think when we post a new thread we should take great care with the subject line and then head our posts with a precis of the problem/question we have, with this then followed by a separation between it and the body of report. Just a thought. Best wishes. :D

AvvY

I agree. I think this is generally with newer members - not blaming them of course - but generally the topic lines are very vague or are completly irreilvant e.g "I need help" "Please read HJT log" and so forth.

I'm not saying we would cover everything, but say 5 or so things under each board might be appropriate.

Late,

aarhus2004

Hello AvvY,

Do you see these 5 groups as being Stickies? If so, since I have read here that the Stickies are all too often ignored, it occurs that once again the subject matter must carefully point to what is being covered - but I suppose that goes without saying.

Who do you see as undertaking this? The MODS will have to be involved since they have control over the Stickies but may feel their time is already consumed by what they already do. But perhaps the way is to take one board at a time and ask for feedback on which problems seem to re-occur, or to request volunteers to search for re-occuring problems in the board concerned which would qualify for a place in the five.

I imagine some boards should take precedence over others. The Security one comes to mind. I have noticed that on any given occasion there are more visitors/members in there than elsewhere, and consistently so.

So perhaps Step1 would be to identify the first board and and go from there.

What are your further thoughts, AvvY? (y)

AvvY

True, but we cannot force people to make correctly formatted topic lines. Especially in the security forum when people seem to frequently have disaterous problems and need help and in a state of panic - lol, reminds me of my first post. Most new members generally don't think about something like that, but there isn't really any way of enforcing them to do so.

I know on another forum, in order to reduce multiple posts on the same topic, the mods simple delete/lock the duplicate posts and direct the poster to an existing thread. Although I'm not sure if that would be appropriate on this forum.

Perhaps TSG should take on/write up some extra "rules" possibly based on http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html which new users should be directed to when first signing up, much like the agreement they have to either click "Accept" or "Decline" to.

I know not everyone will read the sticky threads I am proposing, but based on the number of members the board has, and the number of visitors each day, I would feel confident that a worth wild number would read them. Even if when people post a thread which is clearly covered in one of these stickies, a member or mod could simply post a link in a reply to that thread directing them to a sticky.

I would think that people who are most knowledgable in each of their fields would obviosuly be the best choice to write up these. I know in the linux fourm there is a FAQ which was started and contains some reasonable information.

I would think that the first few boards to tackle would be the :
Windows NT/2000/XP
Security
and maybe Hardware
(That was based on the most number of people viewing currently, and also based on what I recall as the most busy boards).

It wouldn't have to be 5 stickys per board, that was just a guestamate of some, each board obviously might have +/- . Although we would have to make sure we didn't try and cover too many things, as boards would be over run with these stickies and would ruin the idea of the forum.

Late,

aarhus2004

Hello AvvY,

Are you up for the game at 0945 GMT (2nd July)?

Good thinking on the post. (y) Will get back on it tomorrow after we beat you!! :D

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
I know this has been brought up before, but I absolutely love the idea of tutorials/articles about common problems. I'm holding off until vb3.5 comes out before we actually implement anything, but if any of you feel like writing in the mean time, it will give me something to put up when it goes live! Email ([email protected]) or PM me if you're interested. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online