1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Technical question about TeamViewer remote access/remote office

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Alex Ethridge, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I asked a question in another thread wanting to know if there were any good free alternatives to programs PCAnywhere or GoToMyPC. Boy did I ever get more than I expected in TeamViewer that EAFiedler suggested.

Now I have a technical question about how TeamViewer works. It connects to remote systems across the internet not by an IP number that I enter but rather by an arbitrary nine-digit number assigned to the system when the program is set up. It connects so quickly that I know it cannot be scanning every IP address on the 'net looking for a TeamViewer connection at every one of them. So, I have deduced that there must be a server out there somewhere that stores TeamViewer information.

Does anyone know enough about this to confirm this and/or explain it to me somewhat?

Next question: What about security? Are there any security issues I should be concerned about, other than the obvious, of course?

2. Bernardo

Bernardo

Hi Alex, I'm going to post to follow along. I've used TeamViewer and like it. I also use Logmein.com (free version) on most pcs I have on the network, and I do pay for one premium ($34.95, I think, per year) so that I can drag and drop files between the main computer and where ever else.

Not trying to answer your question :)

3. Alex Ethridge

Hmmm . . . Looked at LogMeIn. I don't like the fact they want to know how many computers I want to support/connect to and all that other personal information, like name of organization, first and last name, phone number, etc.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Teamviewer does indeed have a server that manages the connections. Once the connection is made, the actual conversation is peer-peer direct, it doesn't go through their servers. I'm not sure why you view this as a problem.

Other options include UltraVNC or TightVNC.

5. Alex Ethridge

Thanks for the additional options. I don't necessarily view their wanting additional information as a problem as much as I am suspicious of anyone who offers something for free. I am so suspicious of unfamiliar free software that I have managed to get through 15 years+ being infected with malicious software only once that I can remember. So, the more I know about what they are doing and how they do it, the better I feel when I go forward.

I'm still wondering how these people are making their money if they are giving this stuff away.

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Free for Non-commercial use!

7. JohnWill

They're not giving it away! Look at the commercial pricing! :eek:

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    LogMeIn Free is free :)

9. JohnWill

Teamviewer is also free for personal use, no different than LogMeIn.

10. Alex Ethridge

I thought so well of the program, I thought I might make a donation via the purchase of the paid edition. Then I saw the price. It seems the price is geared more for those who rely on it heavily like maybe a tech support center.

The only people I intend to help on-line with this program are my 92-year-old father-in-law, my son's and one friend. I might have gone for something around a hundred. The fact that it was free for personal use had me expecting something like maybe $150, more or less, so I was taken aback by their $750-and-up pricing.

To be clear, I don't think their pricing is unfairly high; it just is too much for me as I don't do that kind of tech support in my business.

11. lost cause

lost cause

Just a note I use team viewer for almost everything. Its honestly a great piece of software. Alternatively I use tightvnc (tightvnc.com) which works great as well.

12. JohnWill

For those uses, Teamviewer is free, hard to quibble with that price.

13. Alex Ethridge

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!