1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Technical Support

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Mrbullit11, Jul 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mrbullit11

Mrbullit11 Thread Starter

Hi all
    Today I have received a phone call from a Technical Support Service, which claims my Computer system has been flagged up as having some serious errors on my computer. They asked my some questions regarding what I used the internet for and how many devices are used in the house. They then gave me instructions to use RUN command and open eventviewer,under Administrative events they asked me what I could see.. and it was aload of errors and warnings.. they then told me that the internet has downloaded these files on my computer with out me knowing and they can cause problems with the system. ( Fortunate that I have had some issues with my explorer BUT found that it was a recent Windows update that had conflicted a file in explorer so I unistalled it and re-installed explorer..Problem gone ). So she then told me I was going to speak to a technician that wanted me to go to this website Link Removed By Moderator which I did but I then realized they wanted what looked like re-mote access to my computer. And that was when I questioned everything they were trying to do... they said no malware,spyware or anti virus program will detect these files and they needed access to run a scan on my computer but depending on the seriousness of how bad it is a one time fee may be applied so I told the man (NO MATE YOU NOT GETTIN ON HERE) which he then replied that my system health is goin to be affected and if im not interested in the help offered then BYE ...

Is this a scam to sell me software like regedit ..I have always believed that windows is the best registry cleaner or do I need another tool or something ?? Now I have seen all the errors I did get me thinking ??

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2015
  2. TOGG

TOGG

3. Mrbullit11

Thanks for info I have logged a complaint..

4. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

The errors in Event Viewer are normal. Regedit is a Windows program used to edit the registry. It doesn't clean or fix anything.

I don't know who you logged a complaint with because these companies are in India and no one can do anything to prevent the calls. Next time, just hang up.

5. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi Mrbullit11

I removed the questionable link from your post to prevent others from clicking it.
    It's a scam. I received a call one day just out of the blue and was told they were with Microsoft and they were going to fix the error on my computer. I happily told them I already fixed it and hung up.

The end result is more than likely what TOGG mentioned would happen.

6. renegade600

renegade600

I keep a air horn near the phone for those type of calls :)

7. Mrbullit11

good one will try that :)

8. RolandJS

RolandJS

Be careful about "airhorning" scam callers; or, doing any such related mischief. Best to simply say "No" and hang up quietly and softly; if one makes certain scam callers angry, such can generate a fake but disasterous "911-Swat" call or call back repeatedly, sell your number to other scammers repeatedly, and so on.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!