1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Telefonica (Spain)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wrenjim, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wrenjim

wrenjim Thread Starter

I have had a Telefonica Broadband connection for a number of years using a Telefonica supplied ZyXel Router and most of the time it works well.

I would like to switch to WiFi and I have a Billion 7100G. I got a local techie here in Spain to set it up at the shop and he managed to connect using a PC but when I try to connect using my Mac I get a PPPoE failure according to the diagnostics on the router.

I have checked the settings on the original router with those on the Billion and all seem to be the same except the Telefonica supplied router had the username and password blank and the Billion is set to [email protected] and adslppp.

The mac sees the Billion OK but just won't connect.

I have tried e-mailing Billion here in Spain but have had no response and Billion in the UK assures me that there shouldn't be a problem. Telefonica's response is "If your live in Spain you should speak Castellano" and then they slam the phone down.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom.

Many thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The WAN (Internet) settings on the new router obviously have to be the same as those on the old router.

Are you failing to connect with the MAC via wireless or ethernet or both?

3. wrenjim

wrenjim Thread Starter

Thanks for the prompt response.

The MAC can connect with the router both wirelessly and with ethernet. I have tried changing the settings on the router both with and without the userid and password.

All very confusing.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is the brand and model of your modem?

Make sure the new router's WAN is set the same as the old router's. Unplug modem and router. Connect modem to new router's WAN port. Plug in modem; then plug in new router. What is the WAN status now? If it didn't get a good IP configuration, do the logs show any clues as to why not?

5. wrenjim

wrenjim Thread Starter

The Billion 7100G is a ADSL Router and I have unplugged it a multitude of times and restarted it and reset it all to no avail. When I view the router via a browser I see that when I display status the WAN address doesn't show and I am not sure whether this is because it is not connecting or because of some other reason. My ISP uses a static address and it is set in the router.

It is not as if I am off the air because I have another router but I would sure like to get this thing to work!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry, I did not realize the Billion 7100G is a modem/router combo. I don't know about Telefonica for sure, but almost all ISPs require the modem to be registered with them. So, when you switch modems you have to visit the appropriate web site (if one is provided) or call the ISP.

7. wrenjim

wrenjim Thread Starter

I am not sure whether Telefonica needs a modem to be registered and as they speak only Spanish I at a bit of a loss. I understand there tech support is either in Morocco or Argentina!

The strange thing is it works with a PC but not with a Mac.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's certainly new information. With the PC connected to the new router let's see ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757970

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice