1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Telephone Rings And Computer Boots UP!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Johnincal, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Johnincal

Johnincal Thread Starter

Hi Everyone!

I have a real head scratcher of a problem. I just got this computer. It has XP Home on it. My problem is that when I hook the telephone to the modem on my puter and the telephone rings, my computer (when it is off) turns on and starts booting!

I do not have any printer or fax software installed, and it did this from day one. (I got it new.)

I did run the anti virus and ad-aware and spybot just to make sure....nothing.

The nearest place to take it is about 25 miles away, so I thought if it is a simple software issue, it my save me the drive and time for somebody else to check it out.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

John

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Your system is set for WOR (Wake On Ring).
    Its not uncommon, the modem detects the ringing tone and starts the system.

Check in the BIOS for an option to disable it, but you may need to remove a link or a cable on the motherboard.
    Check the motherboard manual. Download a copy from the makers website if you have not got one.

3. Johnincal

Johnincal Thread Starter

Thanks Kiwi!

I will check into it, and let you know what I have to do.

Thanks for the insight!

Your Friend,
    John

4. PcGrafix

PcGrafix

Kiwi As In GG? Carlton_************@hotmail.com?

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

No, sorry.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222168

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice