1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Television not picking up HDMI signal

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by gdcairns, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gdcairns

gdcairns Thread Starter

My television set is not picking up an HDMI signal from my Playstation 3 console.

I tried the PS3 with another television set, and it works perfectly, so the problem is not with the PS3.

Also, the PS3 recognises the presence of an HDMI cable, so I am pretty sure my HDMI cable is working perfectly also.

This makes me think that the problem is with my television set. Does anybody have any advice? :confused:

Television is an LG M227WD Flatron Digital TV Monitor

I must stress that I have been using my PS3 through this television since September without any problems, it just stopped working out of the blue.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. IsolatedSnail

IsolatedSnail

When you tried it on another TV did you try it with your cable? If it just suddenly stopped working then I'm pretty quick to throw the blame on the cable. My suggestion is work in steps to find your problem.

Try the PS3 with the same HDMI cable on another TV.
    -> This works, it's not the PS3/cable.
    Try the HDMI cable with another product such as an Xbox 360 or Bluray player.
    -> This doesn't work it's probably the cable.
    Try the PS3 with a different cable on your TV.
    -> This works, then it's not the TV.

3. new tech guy

new tech guy

Gonna sound silly but worth a shot as i had a weird similiar issue like this with an old boombox unit i had as a bedroom radio....But since nothing ever truely turns off nowadays i would try what was already suggested but also possibly just try unplugging the tv from its power source for about 30 seconds, then plug it back in. Might lose some personalization settings, if so maybe write them down if you wish to re enter them. But this would be the equivilant of restarting a pc. If it comes up and the unit works fine, well problem solved. Again i know it is a silly thought but i would try that...

4. Bellcrak

Bellcrak

I have had a similar issue with my Apple TV. It has to do with HDMI handshaking. The TV "wakes up" but doesn't immediately notice that there is a signal. It seems to be different from device to device. I had to switch my Apple TV to component when I bought a new cable box. The cable box never has any HDMI issues.If I'm correct, you should also see signal appearing after cycling the TV input a few times (like from HDM1 to HDMI2 to Component, etc, until you get back to your Media Center HDMI input again).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice