1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tell me it can't happen here !!

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by rhettman5, Dec 20, 2001.

Advertisement
  1. rhettman5

rhettman5 Thread Starter

Hi guys, while I use this board daily and think it's the best , I also was a member at windows-help net.

I noticed last week that the site was down.

I went there tonight and got the following message :http://www.windows-help.net/webboard/

I feel extremely sorry for arie and all the people who (as they do here) made his site work.

I am wondering if Tech Guy has safeguards in place to prevent such a thing here.

I would feel as though I had lost a lot of friends if this site went down.....Rhett

2. hamster

hamster Guest

stupid hackers. Nothing is safe anymore, he/she didn't even ask for extoration money. Lots of Business on the net has been hacked for Credit Card information and has been successful at it. So that scares me alot!!

What kind of protection do we have out there??? Luckly I use #####.com to prefund my account and they give me a fake MasterCard number to use online so I feel safer..

Now my question is on catching the *******. Lots of these criminals live outside of the United States. So it's very unlikely we will have our FBI agents go into their country to look for them. and again it's very unlikely for their policemen to look for them since Their own country has lots of problems (as our FBI agents have their hands full too)....... so who's looking for this bad guy??

3. Dark Star

Dark Star

Rhett,

"I am wondering if Tech Guy has safeguards in place to prevent such a thing here."

Yes he does, and we are backed up weekly. Backups are stored offsite so Mike The Tech Guy has us well covered here.

Yes, I too used to post at the BBS and it is sad to see that these sick bas**rds have done their dirty deed to such a wonderful site.
    It makes me sick to know that "everything" is gone.
    I don't even want to think about how sick Arie feels, but I wish him every success in tooling back up in the near future.

DS

4. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Stupid hackers? Yes. Stupid webmaster? Yes. Anyone who doesn't have a backup, especially someone running a major web site, will eventually experience a major disaster. There's plenty of blame to go around.

5. rhettman5

rhettman5 Thread Starter

Phew, what a relief ;)

Glad Mike is at least one step ahead of the game !!

Max, if you read here : http://www.windows-help.net/features/hacked.html , you will see that they did have a back-up that was hacked as well, and they do have local back-ups they are using to restore some of the site,and as arie said , his backup method wasn't the best, however blaming the webmaster for the acts of destruction, is like blaming the car instead of the drunk that rear-ends you !!...Rhett

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Thats a dirty shame.... remembering when Yahoo got hacked a couple years ago as well.. Did they ever catch those hackers?

7. cybergum

cybergum

Yeah I think they caught those guys...
    Amazon.com had a hack attempt a few years ago too, and aol gets one per day it seems (aolwatch.com)

It can get people pretty worried.....
    But not me :) I don't buy online.

8. JewisHeritage

JewisHeritage

Rhett: Don't waste your time .... Mad MAX hasn't had a nice thing to say in a long time:(

9. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

I've helped hundreds of people here. You only see what you want to see, JewisHeritage. You should try looking for the good in people.

10. JewisHeritage

JewisHeritage

11. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

It's the Christmas holiday, JewisHeritage, and I'm not interested in engaging in your immature discussion. I hope the new year brings you some manners.

12. JewisHeritage

JewisHeritage

I'll get right on that Max.....:rolleyes:

13. Toddles18

Toddles18

Ouch JH, thats a low blow, he was just posting what he felt in that forum, this is the USA and we are all entitled to out own thoughts and opinions.

14. JewisHeritage

JewisHeritage

Toddles: You have a Private Message!

15. cybergum

cybergum

Max, JH-don't fight now, it's the holiday season :)
    Don't MAKE me turn this car around....

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice