1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tell me something about back-up..please.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Oneoldman, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Oneoldman

Oneoldman Thread Starter

I've two computers, one of which , a year old, has a minor glitch in it "somewhere"... that is , at the moment only a nuisance. My wife uses it exclusively and I've suggested finding out how easily an external hard drive might be used to back up all of her files, programs, settings....everything...which, if it works, will allow me to make use of the Symantec program that I understand is on the Win XP CD...to renovate the entire pc and put it back into the condition it was in when new..

I have to know if I am correct in assuming that a new external hard drive is ready to use as soon as it is plugged into a USB slot...I don't want to get into formatting and the rest of the stuff that is too mind boggling to me...I went that route with a new internal hard drive on an older Dell pc and ended up dumping the whole thing into the trash.

And.. is there a particular nomenclature to the hard drive that I purchase that indicates it's suitablility to a Dell computer and will to the job easily.

Much thanks for any help

Oneoldman

2. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

You are not going to find your second experience very different from your first concerning an external hard drive. You would still need to go into disk management, format it and assign a drive letter to it before you would see it in My Computer, which is very easy to do.

I am not aware of a symantec product on the retail xp cd [ghost?] that will being the system back to "new condition". Perhaps you are talking about a factory restore disk?

Just understand a factory restore wipes out very thing you may have added since you got the pc.

Also understand the difference between backup of files and programs. For example lets say you do a factory restore. You can restore files but not programs. They have to be reinstalled from scratch.

Any external usb attached drive should work fine for you.

3. Oneoldman

Oneoldman Thread Starter

Still questioning...Where did I read about the Dell C521 that I bought about 15 months ago...that the capabilitty for "getting rid of everything" on the computer, leaving it in exactly the shape it was in when I took it out of the box, as new?..I'm sure I read that...possibly in the dowloaded and printout of the "manual" that Dell no longer encloses with a new PC...

If formatting an external drive is the same as, or similar to the Flash Drive units that I have grown so fond of, then I can understand you when you suggest it is easy enough. I had no trouble understanding how that was done.

Once a hard drive is formatted, externally used... and, for example we have a lot of individual entries on a Word Perfect program.... possibly 100 entries of book keeping data.... does each entry have to be downloaded into the new drive separately?

I remember downloading a hundred or so photos a Vueprint program and it was done easily enough on internet.... the printers worked fine off line... the only way I "cured that" was to "system restore several times.. with no luck..untill I went back to a date last summer.... and that remedied the printer problem... so.. something still exists in the pc that's causing it to be somewhat less than properly functioning...I thought I could do what Dell said it would do.. restore it to just as when new?.

Any further thoughts?

Oneoldman....quite !

4. Oneoldman

Oneoldman Thread Starter

...and one more question...I'll consider myself having been educated then... When I "formatted" the flash drives... I plugged it into the USB... went to right click "my computer"... it showed the "presence" of this new device... it asked what I wanted to do, one of which options was to format... quick format or otherwise, if I recall... it took a few seconds and that was it...and those flash drives have been a joy to use... for a very few dollars per each...Will an external hard rive of considerably more capacity get formatted the same way????

Oneoldman....

5. AmericanOhio

AmericanOhio

Wander's right on the "New condition" (There aint none), External drives are Super, well if you have the room on your desktop, you can tho, put them in the comupter itself, those drives are even cheaper. And connecting a External to your come WILL show up in your "My Computer", but when you click on it, it will ask you to Format it.

I suggest you get EVERYTHING off the C:\ drive that you need/want put it on what ever OTHER drive you have, and do a Absolute Clean Install of your Windows

P.S.

ANYTHING that has the name "symantec" in it....

GET RID OF IT

if you need a "NON" spying Anti-Vir just go to Avast.com, its FREE

6. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

"getting rid of everything"
    That is a factory restore disk like I explained in my first post

"100 entries of book keeping data.... does each entry have to be downloaded into the new drive separately?"

They are all in one sheet right? You just copy the sheet [filename.extension] to the drive.

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The Dell Dimension C521 uses a proprietary version of Symantec Ghost to do the factory restore. It works from a restore partition on the hard drive (CTRL+F11 as soon as the keyboard status lights flash to access), or from a Recovery CD in some cases. It will ghost an image back onto the hard drive, wiping out whatever is there. The system will be just as it was "Out of the Box", including all the trial software that is now expired.

With most recent systems the CD is usually just an OS CD though; it won't restore to "Factory Condition", and may or may not include necessary drivers. If the SATA drivers are not included on the CD, re-installing can become quite an adventure, especially if the system doesn't have a floppy drive.
    You may also need the Audio, Chipset, Communications (Modem), Mouse & Keyboard, Network, and Video drivers, which can be found here:
    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...temID=DIM_P4_C521&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=
    If you enter your Service Tag, the list of drivers will be customized to your system.

The manuals can be downloaded from here if you've misplaced your copies: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimc521/en/index.htm
    Info on using Dell Restore is on pg 56 of the owner's manual.

HTH

Jerry

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699634

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice