1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Tell Ur Home Setup For Inet Connection...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by healtheworld, Oct 19, 2003.

Unmark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. healtheworld

healtheworld Guest Thread Starter

Please Explain Ur Home network ....

Lets Disclose it for benefit of them who need them.....

2. healtheworld

healtheworld Guest Thread Starter

A small diagram will be of Highly Appreciated.....

3. yellow_grrl

yellow_grrl

Modem
    |
    Router
    / | | \
    PC1 PC2 PC3 PC4&X-bow

thats my setup.... rather simple... anymore info u need to kno about it?

4. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

PC1 w/ Linksys wireless PCI card, modem, shared printer.
    |
    |
    PC2 w/ Linksys wireless USB adapter.

I went with this simple system because we only have two computers. No router was needed with this simple peer to peer setup. PC1 shares it's internet connection (Dialup) and printer. I went with wireless because I didn't want to crawl around under the house running cables.
    Both systems are running XP Home and Zone Alarm Pro.

5. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

John, have a question on your setup. I have gone the router...uhmmm....route (rather redundant!) :)

I am about to install on parents' 2 PC's and want to sort of map out what I will have to do to connect the two and maintain their dialup.

Can you be a bit more specific about the connection you set up and which machine has the dialup modem...

TIA

MBN

6. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

My setup is a very simple peer to peer network. My coputer is the computer with the internet connection and printer. I installed a PCI wireless network card on my machine and a wireless USB adapter on my son's machine (only becaues he didn't have any open PCI slots). I let windows XP do the network and ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) setup for me, which worked great.
    I chose this method because it was easy to setup and I didn't have to spend alot of money.
    Check out your windows help files.

7. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Okay, I'm with you on it, one question left....

taking nothing for granted, the wireless USB adapter was....what? router? I think this is where you have me confused...does XP do routerless wireless?

8. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

One other question for any taker: I now see that "ad-hoc" wireless is available for two or more wireless machines...I wonder if you have a machine with both a nic and a wireless card in it could be part of both the ad-hoc wireless and a router based.

Helping sister who has 3 pc's and a laptop. Laptop has wireless, and one of the pc's has both wireless and nic card. Could that one PC be a "routered" member as well as a link to the lonely laptop?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173153

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice