Telnet into D-Link Router

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

contsi

Telnet into a D-Link router with the following message: Could not open connection to the host, on port 23. No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

Do I need prior configuration, before I can Telnet and see the status of the router?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Are you sure the router has telnet capability? Most are configured using HTTP.

contsi

It may not, and I did use http for basic config, but I use telnet on Cisco routers on a big network. I wanted to see if I could monitor and check port configuration on this D-link.

Most of them have a setting for web administration so you can access it's config from anywhere using a web browser.

Del

Should be able to open IE and type in the IP address for the routen and get to the setup that way

You will normally only be able to access the web interface locally if you are on the same network. If you are using an IP address other than 192.168.0.x you will not be able to access the web interface.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Originally posted by Rockn:
You will normally only be able to access the web interface locally if you are on the same network. If you are using an IP address other than 192.168.0.x you will not be able to access the web interface.
Unless you have bridging to the 192.168.0.xx subnet. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts