1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Telnet not working on new laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tmericola, Oct 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tmericola

tmericola Thread Starter

I am having trouble making telent connections from home to work on a new laptop. I am using telnet 3270 emulation software and it just keeps trying to connect and never gives an error. I tried issuing command: telnet xxx.xxx.xxx from the command prompt and it says:

Connecting To xxx.xxx.xxx...Could not open connectin to the host, on port 23: Connect failed

I tried a diferent software vendor and it had the same problem. I ran netstat -an and it shows the port is listening although I'm not sure what that means. I tried using supportspace.com for help but, after over an hour on the phone and much patience on the gentlemen's part who was working with me we couldn't get it working. I have this working on an old laptop with OS of XP Home, the new one has XP Professional. I tried disabling the Windows firewall and making sure Internet settings and Network Connections were similar. I enabled telnet services. I tried following some MS support info for turning on ports for software under exceptions for the firewall. Nothing has worked. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Toni

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Am I to understand that Telnet was working on your old computer, just not the new laptop....right??

3. tmericola

tmericola Thread Starter

Yes, it works fine on the old laptop which is about 5 yrs old. Internet works fine.

4. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Are you connecting to a pulic IP address when you try to start the session? Did you use a VPN on the old laptop?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/632831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice