1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

telnet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sexnage, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sexnage

sexnage Thread Starter

I've been trying to access my server application from my computer using telnet but is not working, the way I do it on windows vista is I press the start key and R to bring the Run option, in there I type telenet space and the ip address. I click enter and I get this error
    " windows cannot find telnet. Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again." Can someone help me please?

thank you

Jaime

2. sexnage

sexnage Thread Starter

I am sorry I mispelled the word TELNET. So when I typed TELNET I get the error I previously reported

thank you

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Do you have access to the server locally?

If so, log on to the server and then see if it's listening on port 22. From the command line, for both Windows and Linux, you should be able to issue a netstat -an command.

4. sexnage

sexnage Thread Starter

Yes I have access to the server, I run netstat -an on the dos prompt and shows me everyone who is connect it it has the name of the server follow by :telnet. One of our outside company connect to us by just typing the telnet and then the server IP address, but I must be doing something wrong cause I cannt connect.

Thank you

5. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The other things you can do is to see if the server is even seeing your connection coming in. If it's a Linux server, you can do a tcpdump on the particular interface targeted for port 22. If you have a Windows server, you'll need to install something like Wireshark and sniff the interface on the server. Granted, I don't know if you're trying to access this server on your box from the same locally attached subnet or if you're going through other firewalls/routers. Also, I don't know if you have any particular security configurations/software which is preventing this traffic.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!