Telstra NBN WiFi keeps dropping out on Smart Modem

cuttlefish

Ian
I've been connected to the NBN for around 12 months and had no connection problems via my own Ethernet connection or my wife's PC via WiFi.
We both use Win 10!

Now her PC is dropping the WiFi connection many times every day. If I turn the Telstra Modem OFF for a few minutes and then back on again, I can reconnect her PC without any difficulty.

I've checked all the cable connections are secure so tend to blame the Smart Modem for the problem but to muddy the waters further, my neighbour across the road with iiNet lost his entire in internet connection last week and his server gang dug up the pit in the street and found extensive corrosion in all the boxes and equipment. This fixed his issues but mine seem to start around there as well? Just wondering if that could be playing havoc with but it does just appear more of a WiFi issue on my PC rather than the cabling or incorrect settings on hers, I think!

As you would expect, under the "Show Available Networks", the Telstra network goes missing until I do the reset then pops back up again! I've tried all the unplug the modem, press the reset Pb, plug back into the wall ............... power OFF for 5+ minutes but all to no avail!

One weird thing that happens after I do the reset is that a Google Browser Page springs up saying:

"Access to www.msftconnecttest.com" was denied

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

muppy03

Chris
I've been connected to the NBN for around 12 months and had no connection problems via my own Ethernet connection or my wife's PC via WiFi.
We both use Win 10!

Now her PC is dropping the WiFi connection many times every day. If I turn the Telstra Modem OFF for a few minutes and then back on again, I can reconnect her PC without any difficulty.

I've checked all the cable connections are secure so tend to blame the Smart Modem for the problem but to muddy the waters further, my neighbour across the road with iiNet lost his entire in internet connection last week and his server gang dug up the pit in the street and found extensive corrosion in all the boxes and equipment. This fixed his issues but mine seem to start around there as well? Just wondering if that could be playing havoc with but it does just appear more of a WiFi issue on my PC rather than the cabling or incorrect settings on hers, I think!

As you would expect, under the "Show Available Networks", the Telstra network goes missing until I do the reset then pops back up again! I've tried all the unplug the modem, press the reset Pb, plug back into the wall ............... power OFF for 5+ minutes but all to no avail!

One weird thing that happens after I do the reset is that a Google Browser Page springs up saying:

"Access to www.msftconnecttest.com" was denied

Any suggestions much appreciated.
Is it just your wife's PC having the issues? Do you connect other devices to the wifi with no issue?

plodr

Liz
Info on msftconnection
According to Microsoft, users’ browser may open and they could get redirect to this site when users are trying to connect their computers to a public network that requires a HotSpot sign in. Usually when trying to connect to airport or hotel WiFi. It can also happen when users are trying to connect to a corporate network that uses a proxy server to connect to the internet.
Source: https://www.wipersoft.com/what-is-msftconnecttest/

Perhaps her computer is trying to access a network not her own. Check the wifi settings and network setup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online