1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Temp files and Defragmenatation

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by techno12, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techno12

techno12 Thread Starter

I am wondering whether any definite advice regarding this subject is possible at all or it is just a matter of choice. However I will state my query and I shall be grateful if someone can clarify it.

2. Regarding temp internet files my query is whether it is advisable to delete these files
    (a) everyday and defragment about twice a week
    (b) or alllow these to accumulate over, say, a week and then delete and defragment??

3. Which of above two options are better for the health of the windows.

4. I am using win98SE and 256 MB Ram.

2. 1069

In my humble opinion if you do a clean up once a week this is probably often enough. With regards to Defrag I do this about once every 3-4 weeks but others may have a different opinion.

You may wish to have a look at this piece of free software : http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/dwnloads.htm

download Eclea2_0exe

If you use "Unnecessary" and "Registry" ONLY it will clear out a pile of junk for you.

3. jaye944

jaye944

I've never had a problem with this.
    The best way is to set in the internet options, under temp.int.files to Automatic.

then forget it !

4. techno12

techno12 Thread Starter

But I am using Firefox and Mozilla.

5. TOGG

TOGG

I use a commercial product, Window Washer from Webroot, to clear all the junk that accumulates while on the web. There are many free programs that do the same sort of thing and a Google search should provide several for you to choose from.

Obviously, you need to be careful with anything that you get in this way as it could be loaded with spyware and/or so badly written that it damages your computer. I have tried a free cleaner called CCleaner and haven't had any problems with it.

I don't use Firefox regularly, but I know it has an option to clear its cache under 'Tools', 'Options', 'Privacy'. There is probably an option to do it automatically at reboot or something, but I'm always wary of 'time savers' like that because, one day, when you really need to refer back to something, it will be gone!

How often you defrag depends on the use you make of your computer, and there is no right or wrong interval. I scandisk and defrag about once a month and, because all temp files etc. are being removed daily, that's OK for me. In fact, I could probably leave it much longer! I'm using '98 with only 128MB.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice