1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Temp Files Not in Temp Directory

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Cyberbear, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyberbear

Cyberbear Thread Starter

Have Windows XP Home Ed (Serv Pack 2)

Have a number of "Temp" directories on the C root directory (Directory names such as: "Adobe Acrobat.temp" - "Console.temp" - "Display.temp" - "DLA Writing.temp" - "McAfee.temp" - "Intel chipset.temp").

Near as I can tell these directories were created when I installed these programs, but not completely sure.

I have learned the hard way that, "Not all temp directories can or should be deleted."

Have no problem keeping these directories in the C root directory IF THEY ARE NEEDED. Otherwise want to keep HD clean, lean, mean.

TWO QUESTIONS: 1. Are these directories needed after install?

2. If NOT needed, why don't these install programs clean the garbage off the HD after install, when no longer needed? Not cleaning-up after install seems like "Malicious Indifference" to the user's best interests, after that user paid for and installed that software mfg's program. It's malicious laziness and indifference.

Cyberbear

2. wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Hello from my understanding of tempory files you do not need these after the program has been installed. I delete these on a regular basis my-self so you should be able to. Click start, run and type %temp% and press enter, this will take you to the tempory folder.

Hope this helps

3. MWE

MWE

re #1 most install temp directories contain (true) temp files created during the install process and can be deleted. However, you are correct that now and again they turn out to be not-temp files. This is most often the case when the s/w provider did not do the best job architecting the code and install process.

re #2 it is rare that an install is complete and clean, i.e., that everything required is there and nothing is left except what is required. Even quite reputable suppliers have messy installs. I am not sure I would call it malicious (I doubt that most s/w vendors are trying to make our lives miserable), but it is certainly suggests a lack of professionalism.

My approach is to rename anything that looks like a temp folder after an install embedding the install date into the revised folder name and add a few notes to a log file re what I have done. I check that log file when I do monthly maintenance. If everything works as it should for a month or so, I assume the temp folders/files were truly temp and delete them.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!