Solved Temp Files on my Computer are Locked

referee07

I like to run Disk Clean-Up once-a-week to clean unnecessary files and other things from my computer. But, lately (or maybe it has happened all of the time) that the Internet Temp files and other temp files are locked and Disk Clean-up doesn't delete them. Are there any programs that can delete locked temp files? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19043, Installed 20201006010510.000000+540
Processor: AMD A9-9420e RADEON R5, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G, AMD64 Family 21 Model 112 Stepping 0, CPU Count: 2
Total Physical RAM: 12 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) R5 Graphics, 512 MB
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (566 GB Free);
Motherboard: SR Squirtle_SR, ver V1.22, s/n NBGNV1100W923062327600
System: Insyde Corp., ver ACRSYS - 1, s/n NXGNVAA027923062327600
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

TerryNet

Terry
I have no suggestions; but, does this happen immediately after a Restart or fresh boot (before you open any applications)?

referee07

I have no suggestions; but, does this happen immediately after a Restart or fresh boot (before you open any applications)?

TerryNet, thanks for your reply. No, it happens each time that I run Disk Clean-Up. I am wondering if there is something in Windows 10 that would allow me to see what is in the locked Temp. folder and delete them if I want to? Or, maybe there is a 3rd party program "out there" that will allow me to see what is in that folder?

referee07

I've never heard of a locked Temp folder.
TerryNet, I am seeing a small, gold lock next to the temp files in Disk Cleanup. (Please see the attachment for a screenshot of the lock.) I just took this screen shot and I clicked "OK" to clean the files, but when I opened Disk Cleanup again, the temp files were still there.

Attachments

crjdriver

They all show locked. Here is a pic of mine. Use something like ccleaner or wise disk cleaner to clean the system however do not use the reg cleaner part of either program.

Attachments

managed

Allan
Personally I would not bother trying to delete those Temp files, they don't use much drive space.

referee07

They all show locked. Here is a pic of mine. Use something like ccleaner or wise disk cleaner to clean the system however do not use the reg cleaner part of either program.
crjdriver, thanks for your reply. Is Wise Disk Cleaner a pretty good program. Are there any caveats that are associated with this program?

referee07

Personally I would not bother trying to delete those Temp files, they don't use much drive space.
managed, thanks. The thing that bothers me about the inability to delete the Temp Interned files is because I don't know what is in them and I don't have the ability to get rid of them on my own computer. Also, I am wondering why these temp files are locked?

crjdriver

crjdriver, thanks for your reply. Is Wise Disk Cleaner a pretty good program. Are there any caveats that are associated with this program?
Both wise disk cleaner and ccleaner are fine. Just do not use the registry cleaner part of any program. In addition, when you install ccleaner, it will want to install avast antivirus. Always do a custom install of any program and opt out of this option. Note ccleaner is now owned by avast hence the offer.

referee07

Both wise disk cleaner and ccleaner are fine. Just do not use the registry cleaner part of any program. In addition, when you install ccleaner, it will want to install avast antivirus. Always do a custom install of any program and opt out of this option. Note ccleaner is now owned by avast hence the offer.
crjdriver, thanks again. I downloaded Wise Disk Cleaner and ran the cleaner. It seemed like it would be very thorough, but after the program finished, I ran the Windows Disk Cleanup, the the Internet temp files along with other temp files, thumbnails are still there. (Please see the attached screenshot.) I am wondering what the deal is with the Internet temp files?

Attachments

managed

Allan
In Disk Clean-up if you click on the Temporary Internet Files text to highlight it then on the View Files button it will show you the relevant folders and files. Post a screenshot of them please.

managed

Allan
You may have to change the File Explorer settings as below to see those files and/or folders :-
  1. Open File Explorer from the taskbar.
  2. Select View > Options > Change folder and search options.
  3. Select the View tab and, in Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives and OK
(Source :- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...0-91d0-1166d1d9f4b5#WindowsVersion=Windows_10)

As I said before I would not worry about these even if you can't see them now, historically Windows has always kept some Temporary Internet Files, they are no threat and if you do managed to delete them Windows will probably recreate them.

referee07

You may have to change the File Explorer settings as below to see those files and/or folders :-
  1. Open File Explorer from the taskbar.
  2. Select View > Options > Change folder and search options.
  3. Select the View tab and, in Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives and OK
(Source :- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...0-91d0-1166d1d9f4b5#WindowsVersion=Windows_10)

As I said before I would not worry about these even if you can't see them now, historically Windows has always kept some Temporary Internet Files, they are no threat and if you do managed to delete them Windows will probably recreate them.
managed, I followed your instructions shown above and I think that the problem has been solved. Thanks very much for your help with this and also thanks to crjdriver and TerryNet for their help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online