1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Temp Folder Permissions

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Forz, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Forz

Forz Thread Starter

I have just bought a new Laptop with Win7 64bit. Recently I encountered some errors, which included not being able to save some files, Windows Installer errors and file extracting probs. I found out that they all were related to my %Temp% folder's permissions being set to read-only. I found out here that I had to set all permissions to Full Control, change ownership and add a "SYSTEM" named permissions holder. I did all these and no more errors. However some time later the probs came back. I checked the %Temp% Folder and again in was Read-Only and "SYSTEM" user was removed. Reverting these settings works but they keep changing back. I haven't been able to track down when these changes occur, but no luck. Also, I have used Win7 64bit and 32-bit on another PC and never had this prob, and come to think of it, first few days I didn't have it on my laptop either.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

I assume you are talking about the folder c:\windows\temp .

I see in my virgin Windows 7 that SYSTEM has full control, Administrators have full control, Users have Traverse folder, Create Files/Write data, and Create folders/append data, Creator has full control. And also, the folder is Read Only.

I find that with some install.exe programs, you need to right click it and choose Run as Administrator.

I am guessing, maybe some security program is tampering with the security of %temp%. What security programs do you have ?

3. Forz

Forz Thread Starter

I have Avast! Internet Security 7.0.1474 and MalwareBytes AntiMalware PRO 1.70.0.1100.

Actually I was talking about C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp, where it is by default located, though now I've changed it (thru Environment Variables) to C:\Windows\Temp.

In my Windows 7 PC too, Temp has all those Controls but in my Laptop, as I said, only my User has full rights, SYSTEM is automatically removed and permissions of EVERYONE are automatically changed to READ. And no more more entries are there.

I know that some Installers need Permissions but not every installer. When ever I Install a program (that's quite often) it gives errors which basically mean that Temp folder has limited rights. I use IDM to download and install and its really a pain in the a** to move the files to a folder then Right Click > Run as Admin. Whats more that this prob is with ALL the programs that use the Temp folder.
    I have about 2.4 GB of RAR and ISO and ZIP archives in my "Compressed" folder in "Downloads". I use WinRAR to open these files. I open them, select what I want and Drag it to the Desktop to view, edit or whatever I wanna do. Now as it happens, WinRAR starts copying ALL the contents of the "Compressed" folder to the Desktop. OR if I want to Extract something to another folder (e.g Maps and Mods for Counter Strike), well, you can well imagine the disaster!

Thank You for reading and Replying as I am at a loss here! :confused:

4. Forz

Forz Thread Starter

Addition: I also have USB DISK SECURITY 6.2.0.18 from Zbshareware Company. I did not have this on any PC. Do think removing it could solve the prob, is it worth the try???

5. skiilz

skiilz

No one seems to know what the cause of this problem is, and how you possibly could fix it? I have the EXACT same problem as you Forz. I am just on Windows 8 x64.

6. Forz

Forz Thread Starter

I am just posting to inform everyone that

a) This is a very useless and unhelpful forum
    b) The SevenForums are a better place, where you are sure to get help
    c) I will never be coming back here
    d) I don't care if you ban me, which I think you will

In addition, to all persons having this error, do you have Adobe Acrobat XI installed? Have you, or someone else, illegally registered it, most possibly using a cracked DLL? If your answer is Yes, then you have the culprit. Either buy the program, use it's free version, crack it some other way or get an alternative program. If you don't believe me test it now; change permissions of Temp folder, open Acrobat...wait...see the permissions now.

7. Forz

Forz Thread Starter

Why am I still here? I guess to see if anyone cares what has been posted on the threads. I guess they don't.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087053

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice