1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

temp shredder that keeps log-on cookies?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by takatomon, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. takatomon

takatomon Thread Starter

i was wondering if there's a shredding program that lets users define exemptions to the process. i had used the 30 day trial for z-delete, but i didn't like it because along with shredding all of my temporary files, it also deleted all of my log-on files. it was annoying to have to look all of my passwords up every time i logged on for every forum i visit. this one in particular is a pain as it requires an easy to forget numerical password.

is there a freeware prgram that's good at shredding temporary files that also lets you keep the log-on cookies that you actually want?

2. polak

polak

3. takatomon

takatomon Thread Starter

i might not want it now as i'll be dumping this dinosaur soon, but i'll look into this one for my next PC where payware is a better investment. thanks for the info.

looking at their site, i couldn't even use the trial version as my current PC's "speed limit" is windows 95.

4. polak

polak

System Security Suite works on windows 95 but does not shred, it only cleans but it does give you choices of what you want to clean.

http://www.igorshpak.net/

5. takatomon

takatomon Thread Starter

shredding and cleaning are two different things? please pardon my ignorance. after several years, i only just tried ezdelete recently.

shredding is for files only?

what i'm specifically looking for is a temporary file (cookies and website leftovers) eliminator that still lets me keep my logons. if shredding is totally unrelated, i could always get CWshredder as that seems to be popular here.

thanks for that second recommendation. if it's a freeware program, i can download it before i give this PC to someone without one. i sure can't sell it! LOL

6. polak

polak

takatomon,

I stand to be corrected, but it is my understanding that when using a cleaning utility such as System Security Suite, the process is similar to using the delete function when wanting to get rid of a file or folder. As I believe you are aware, information that is deleted remains on the Hard Drive and can be retrieved using specialized software.

When shredding or erasing a file or folder, that file or folder is overwritten so that it is not recoverable.

There are a number of pieces of software that are available that erase/shred the data that has been deleted but remains recoverable on the Hard Drive. One popular, free such utility is Eraser 5.7. This may be some software you may want to consider using if, as you have suggested, you are planning to get rid of your current system at a later date.

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/features.php

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/download.php

As a point of clarification, CWShredder is a tool specifically designed to remove specific spyware infections on a computer.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/articles.html

7. takatomon

takatomon Thread Starter

oh, i thought with a name like CWshredder that it was a file shredder. i wonder why they didn't call it spyshred or something to that effect instead.

oh well, thanks for that info. it couldn't hurt to add another safety net to my other spycatchers.

it would really be nice if some software manufacturer created a suite with EVERYTHING in one program
    antivirus
    registry fixer
    defragmentation tool
    file shredder
    temporary files eraser
    spyware catcher
    firewall
    compression utilities
    encryption
    system optimizer
    uninstaller
    backup utility
    CDR & DVDR program
    partition program
    and any other "necessary utility" that i can't remember

to purchase this suite in a store would easily cost several hundred dollars. most of this stuff should be part of operating systems in my opinion.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!