Temperamental browser sometimes works/doesn't work (m)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thurbaluva

...all the while being connected via dial-up. In other words, I can dial-up to the internet and be connected, but my browser may or may not load pages. It becomes a trial-and-error thing, where if the browser doesn't load the pages, I disconnect from the internet and reconnect. Eventually, I'll get a "good connection" and be able to search the 'net. Initially, I thought I was "Working Offline" while I was connected to the 'net.

To clarify: I always have a working connection to the 'net. It's just a matter of whether MSIE "wants" to load the pages or not.

Before yesterday, I never had a problem with it; I would connect to the 'net and BOOM!, I'd be ready to go. I should also say that I was working with files in the C:\WINDOWS directory...messing with files and whatnot. I think what may be causing the unsavory behavior is that I touched, moved, altered, something that I shouldn't have and now it's giving the browser problems. It's my sister's computer...help!

Basics:
MSIE 6
Windows 98
Gateway G6-333e
Pentium II
32mb RAM

The first thing you can try is a repair of IE. If your version is 5.5 go to the Start button > Run and copy and paste the command below exactly as you see it:

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\
Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

If the browser version is IE 6 the command instead would be:

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\
Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

When the small box pops up be sure to check it to Repair the browser.

thurbaluva

I ran the command to repair IE 6, and I thought that did the trick but the same behavior is occurring again. I am trying to wean my sister from using my computer, which is why I would like to get this issue fixed. Nonetheless, thank you for your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online