1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Temperamental browser sometimes works/doesn't work (m)

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by thurbaluva, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thurbaluva

thurbaluva Thread Starter

...all the while being connected via dial-up. In other words, I can dial-up to the internet and be connected, but my browser may or may not load pages. It becomes a trial-and-error thing, where if the browser doesn't load the pages, I disconnect from the internet and reconnect. Eventually, I'll get a "good connection" and be able to search the 'net. Initially, I thought I was "Working Offline" while I was connected to the 'net.

To clarify: I always have a working connection to the 'net. It's just a matter of whether MSIE "wants" to load the pages or not.

Before yesterday, I never had a problem with it; I would connect to the 'net and BOOM!, I'd be ready to go. I should also say that I was working with files in the C:\WINDOWS directory...messing with files and whatnot. I think what may be causing the unsavory behavior is that I touched, moved, altered, something that I shouldn't have and now it's giving the browser problems. It's my sister's computer...help!

Basics:
    MSIE 6
    Windows 98
    Gateway G6-333e
    Pentium II
    32mb RAM

2. dr20

dr20

The first thing you can try is a repair of IE. If your version is 5.5 go to the Start button > Run and copy and paste the command below exactly as you see it:

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\
    Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

If the browser version is IE 6 the command instead would be:

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\
    Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

When the small box pops up be sure to check it to Repair the browser.

3. thurbaluva

thurbaluva Thread Starter

I ran the command to repair IE 6, and I thought that did the trick but the same behavior is occurring again. I am trying to wean my sister from using my computer, which is why I would like to get this issue fixed. Nonetheless, thank you for your help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice