1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Temperature causing crashes?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andrewlowden, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andrewlowden

andrewlowden Thread Starter

Hello all,

I recently tried upgrading my system with a new graphics card and some extra RAM to play a few games which my old system wasn't able to. Initially there didn't seem to be a problem, but recently the games seem to freeze for no obvious reason. I have downloaded the latest drivers, BIOS updates and run PC Pitstop Optimize to improve performance, but none of this has worked. I wondered whether the temperature of my machine was impacting the games running, so downloaded SpeedFan to see how warm my computer is. As I'm a bit of a novice I'm not really sure what exactly they temperatures should be, so any advice would be welcome.

SpeedFan tells me that (whilst writing this with no other programs running, and FIFA Manager 07 having crashed about 10 minutes ago) my temperatures are:
    HD0: 38 C
    Core: 56 C
    Ambient: 0 C

Could someone please explain what these readings actually mean, and whether they are OK? Thanks.

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 11/8/2007, 23:01:28
    Machine name: LOWDEN
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
    (2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070227-2300)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: Dell DM051
    BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A07
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 2046MB RAM
    Page File: 296MB used, 3132MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

2. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

Wow, your core's temp is 56C? That is bad, my friend. CPU-damaging bad. I strongly advise you to get a new CPU cooler, and to lay off the games/encoding/CPU-intensive tasks.

But, in the past for me, SpeedFan has been quite inaccurate. Try using CoreTemp.

3. klam

klam

You didn't specify how much load % you had. I'll assume it's really low since you said you were not running anything at the moment.

Those values look ok to me, would you care to post the temperatures again but this time while running the game? and it'd also be useful to know what video card you bought.

Cheers,

4. andrewlowden

Thanks for the advice. I just tried downloading CoreTemp and a message popped up saying that it wouldn't run as "This is not an Intel Core Processor. The program will not continue". I think it's because the program doesn't support Pentium D processors (from the readme file(?)).

So what is the best way to cool my system? You suggest a fan, any specific one better than another? And is it best to get a PC store to fit it for me (like I said, a bit of a novice here!)

5. andrewlowden

Ok, so the game is running whilst I'm writing this, and the CPU usage is fluctuating from 4.7 % to about 11 %. The game is at a menu which isn't particularly graphics intensive (I wonder does CPU usage increase during the football match part when there is more movement?). The HD0 is 39C, the Core remains at 56C.

6. andrewlowden

Ok, so I was in game and a mini-freeze occurred. I was able to tab out to windows and open up SpeedFan, and the core temperature looks like it went up to 60C during the game, and HD0 up to 39C. Can I tell the CPU usage at these points from ingame? Cos I'm guessing when the game is close-tabbed in windows it's not using CPU as much?

7. Cildaten

Cildaten

Get a ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Link
    with some Arctic Silver 5 Link
    And if you were to have someone install them for you, say at best buy, dont let the geeksquad people do it. Your better off reading the instructions

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

What is the actual model written on the machine? Have you looked inside the machine, if so, does the machine have active heatsink cooling, i.e. a fan on top of the heatsink, or, does it have a passive heatink? Does the heatsink have a shroud around it where a fan just pulls air over the heatsink, if so then it is a passive cooler.

If your model has passive heatsink cooling, you are not going to be able to install an active heatsink cooler (fan on the heatsink).

9. andrewlowden

Win2kpro, thanks for your input. Like I said, I am a bit of a novice when it comes to the more technical side of computers, so you've lost me a bit. When you are asking what is the actual model written on the machine, do you mean what make is it? If so, it's a Dell Dimension 5150. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for inside the machine in terms of heatsink cooling. The graphics card appears to have a little fan attched to it which spins around. As for the case, it has a small honeycomb vent system at the front which appears to have cooler air wafting around it.

So to summarise, I know I'm a little bit stupid. Are we agreed that 56C for core temperature is too high?

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

Dell indicates the Dimension 5150 is a BTX form factor machine.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_5150?c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb

BTX form factor machines do not use a standard fan for cooling, they use what is called a "thermal module". Because of the design you cannot use a normal ATX cooler. This link describes a little bit about the BTX form factor.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1712

Dell also indicates the 5150 uses either a Pentium 4 5xx or 6xx processor both of which use Prescott core architecture. Prescott cores normally run hotter and have a thermal specification of around 67.7°C. The printout you displayed in post #1 indicated that the machine had a Pentium D 2.8Ghz. processor. Did the machine come with this processor or was it added later? If the Pentium D was added after the machine left Dell, then possibly there is not enough airflow to cool a dual core processor.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5150/en/sm/specs1.htm#wp1052310

I would check the front air inlets to make sure they are not obstructed, and clean them if they have any dust buildup. The thermal module may also need to be removed and cleaned, or possibly replaced. If you don't feel comfortable in removing and cleaning or replacing a thermal module, you should take the tower to a local repair facility for the work to be accomplished.

11. andrewlowden

Win2kpro, once agai nthanks for your input and advice. It's interesting that the BTX was meant to take off in a big way but doesn't seem to have caught on the way they thought it would!

Anyways, I bought the computer as it is now, with the dual core processor fitted at the factory. The only things I have done is add 1GB of RAM and change my graphics card to nvidia 8600GT.

I tried cleaning the front air inlets last night as they were a little dusty, and then when looking at a forum link it took me to an Intel temperature monitor programme as poeple think SpeedFan is inaccurate. I was in the process of downloading the Intel programme and the screen went black, the power shut down, and I have not been able to restart the computer since. The little yellow light on the power button is active, but it doesn't turn green and the computer doesn't boot up now when I press it. I wonder if I've fried the power supply?

The end result is that I've taken it to PC World and handed it to the Tech Guys in store who are running a full repair/analysis for me. Oh well, at least money grows on trees...

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

Personally, I am not a big fan of BTX form factor machines, however they seem to do OK with a factory configuration.

If the repairers discover that the PSU is the problem I would ask them to replace the PSU with a PSU from this manufacturer rather than the stock Dell PSU;

http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S47D

The PSU's from PC Power & Cooling are more powerful and far superior to the standard Dell PSU's and most likely less expensive.

13. klam

klam

Oh sorry it took so long to get back at you, but I can see these people gave you good advice nontheless.

Well lets hope PC World can solve your problem.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice