Temperature Sensors

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tohm

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite M40X and I'm trying to use SpeedFan to control temperatures and stuff. But the thing won't recognize my fans or my cpu -- only the S.M.A.R.T hard drive. I'm supposed to be able to alter fan speeds, etc. but I can't.

On the SpeedFan website it says: "A simple ON/OFF function is available and it needs the device driver from Toshiba in order to work" for the toshiba boards. http://www.almico.com/forumvotes.php?id=126812
it's just not working! help!

If you're interested in checking temperatures, there is usually a function in the BIOS for that. Programs like Speedfan, and Motherboard Monitor tend to be unreliable at least in my experience. Best way to check is in the BIOS, short of using one of those nifty infrared thermometers.

tohm

Aha! But it is not possible to alter fan speeds from the bios, or is it?

I have no idea where to find it in the bios

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
In my experience, many laptops don't have the sensors, or they're not compatible with most of the utilities that read the temperatures. I've had a bunch of different laptops of various brands, and I can only remember one that actually had any sensing of the processor temperature.

tohm

I've been browsing around, and I've somewhat discovered that there really are sensors but the something to do with SMbus is hidden by the Bios... ? Am I right?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I can't say, but they're hidden from most diagnostic utilities. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online