1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Temperature

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PritomD, Jun 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PritomD

PritomD Thread Starter

Do you NEED a device that reads out the temp to tell what it is? Or is there some way to accuratley check if its high or low? Cause I am buying a new comp, with a 2500+ w/ stock cooling and heatsink, and a 9800pro, and will do NO overclocking, and am sorta worried about the temp.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well, you don't need it, but its good to have.

Most motherboards come with software that you can run in Windows to tell you the temps, fan speeds, voltages. If not you can use various free programs to do the same. Speedfan and Mainboard Monitor are two popular ones.

3. WarC

WarC

Alot of mobos come with temperature and RPM monitors inside of the BIOS.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Of course, a temperature monitor in the BIOS isn't very useful unless you want to reboot regularly to check the temperature! :) I prefer SpeedFan, just sits in my system tray and reports the news. :D:D:D

5. 4steve44

4steve44

Yes johnwill is right on! :eek: I have an intel mobo. It came with Intel motherboard monitor. So as a doublecheck I got speedfan and was way way happier with the way it works. It also has a way to report errors to the maker. My experience with the BIOS reading is that it usually can't be trusted for accuacy. Also make sure you remove heatsink and fan and clean well and apply Artic Silver 5. Application is at there site :D

6. WarC

WarC

The BIOS reading is fine when checking for overheating probs. He's unsure whether or not his CPU will be adequately cooled on stock cooling: You can start up and run the BIOS temp/RPM monitor before theres even an operating system. All the gizmos and user-friendly stuff amounts to nill if you can't get past that stage.

On my Soyo board, the BIOS detects the temp straight from the core, as do all Athlon-compatible motherboards (I actually trust my BIOS reading over Soyo's hardware monitor). It will do the job with no frills or extra devices and answer Pritom's question of stability way before he has a chance to install an OS and a third-party temp monitoring program.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If he can't get past the BIOS stage, he doesn't need to check the processor temperature! :rolleyes:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!