1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

temperatures

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jbm1991, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jbm1991

jbm1991 Thread Starter

time to pick your brains, how do you think i should lower my computer temperatures? they are too high for my liking seeing as this is a desktop PC. ive cleared my case inside and out for dust and checked all the fans are working. does anyone know how i can manually increase my fan speed?

2. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

Which components do you think are overheating? How hot are they?

The methods of changing fan speed varies depending on the motherboard. nForce users can use nVidia's nTune utility. ASUS users can use ASUS's respective motherboard management utility. For GPUs, nVidia users can again use nTune, while ATi users can use the Catalyst Control Center (I think, I don't have much knowledge of ATi cards).

Or, of course, if you feel particularly daring, you can rewrite your BIOS. That's always fun.

3. dannyn

dannyn

4. jbm1991

jbm1991 Thread Starter

this is my speed fan temps about 3 minutes after my computer has been turned on, my laptop runs at 54 - 55 so these could do with being a bit lower in my opinion.

and how did you know i have a ps3? :eek:

Attached Files:

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, you need to list what parts you have. Each type of cpu has a "normal" temp.

Next is the system overclocked at all?

You need to check temps in the bios. Speedfan is a fine app however it sometimes returns flaky info. Once you verify the temps speedfan displays with the bios temps, you can then trust speedfan.

6. jbm1991

jbm1991 Thread Starter

what parts do you need to know information on?
    and how do i go about finding temperatures in my BIOS? ive never really used the BIOS before.

edit: oh, and no my system isnt over clocked at all. at least not that im aware of. ive never oclocked it and i doubt it was factory over clocked

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Post exact specs ie make and model of cpu, brand and model of motherboard, etc.
    Next read your manual as to how to access the bios and where the info is located. Each bios is setup a little different.

8. jbm1991

jbm1991 Thread Starter

the attached file should give all the info needed. as for manuals i havent got a clue where they are as i dont remember receiving any when this PC was bought.

Attached Files:

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

For a single core amd64, those temps are pretty hot. I have built many amd single core systems and they generally run around 28-35C. Since this is a packard bell computer, you probably do not have a very good case for cooling.

Does your system have an exhaust fan or a place to install an exhaust fan?

10. dannyn

dannyn

i dont know where the thread is now.. but where the guy posted specs of the ps3. lol!

11. jbm1991

jbm1991 Thread Starter

sssshhhhhhh dannyn we do not speak of such threads in public :p

and crjdriver give me a few mins and i'll find a few photos of my case

12. jbm1991

jbm1991 Thread Starter

right then, ignore the arrows on the attached picture, theyre for something else. this photo was somewhere on my hard drive for god only knows what purpose. but it shall do for now. it is the rear and left hand side of my PC. the big vent thing on the "side" isnt attached to anything its just a few holes that lead straight into my case inside. i am assuming the air goes in this vent. the big fan on the back, i assume is the exhaust fan and is the only fan on my case.

Attached Files:

13. dannyn

dannyn

haha sorry... i just had too
    i would have done the exact!! same thing

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The fan on the back is the pw supply fan. That case is not going to give you the best cooling; it is small with limited airflow. Still 50C is too hot for that cpu. As I posted it should be running in the high 20s to mid 30s or so.

I would check your hsf to see if it is dirty. Blow it out with a can of air. Give the whole system a good cleaning and then check your temps again. With that case, you are limited in the amount of airflow and therefore cooling.

15. dannyn

dannyn

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/674876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice