1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Temporarily using a second powersupply for one connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oneSorcerer, Jul 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oneSorcerer

oneSorcerer Thread Starter

I've been troubleshooting a rig for a while now, thinking that either the cpu or the motherboard was toast. Then out of sheer luck I had it hooked up without any gpu or drives to a smaller PSU (450w) and the thing boots. I was able to use a second smaller psu (500w) to verify this. It is literally only the 8pin eps 12v rail on my 800w psu that is bad. Unfortunately the two other psu's aren't big enough to run the system with the gpu and all the drives and fans.

I ordered an adapter to take the 4pin and a molex to 8pin, which should work, but it's going to be a week before I get it.

My question is can I, temporarily, sit one of those smaller psus behind the case, and just use its 8pin for that 12v cpu connection? I know I would have to jumper that psu's 24-pin to get it to run, or perhaps leave it plugged in to one of the little Ultra psu testers I have with the lights.

Would this work? How monumentally stupid of an idea is it? LOL

Thanks gang, either way >.<

2. oneSorcerer

Falling prey to my impatient and impulsive nature as usual, I tried it anyway.

[​IMG]

Sitting in bios at the moment... LMAO. I laughed so hard when it booted as normal. CPU readings show normal 12v+ readings. Everything looks good so far lol.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I would urge you to check the requirements of the board and the CPU
    If the CPU really does require an 8 pin then that is capable of supplying 330watts approx

What the CPU may draw depends of course on the CPU itself and if it is overclocked

A four pin for these purposes may be treated as approx half of that wattage
    These are only approximate wattages

However a MOLEX connection on most PSU`s - is often only capable of a MAXIMUM of 60 watts
    The fact one can buy the adapter, does not mean of course that it will be right for your system.

AS I said, if your CPU really needs the 8 pin then I would urge caution. You may find the demand on the molex too great

THAT said I would not even consider continuing to use the PSU - adapter or not.

oneSorcerer likes this.
  4. oneSorcerer

The only reason I considered it was because there were many people in the comments who said it worked for them to either replace their 8pin connector, or create an 8pin connection on a PSU that didn't have one.

This mobo/processor isn't necessarily something I care about, it had sat in the box for almost a year. I've been using something much crappier to access the internet and stuff since it 'broke' the first time. I'm not about to sink $100 into it for a new power supply, so if it works, it works, and if not, oh well. I believe the fx-8150 is 125w, I can't remember.

My dual-psu setup didn't work for very long lol. I got it up to the desktop for a while but eventually it restarts without warning. Nothing out of the ordinary shows up on hardware monitor when this happens, but oh well.

5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Cheers

oneSorcerer likes this.
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice