Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Temporary Internet Files Folder

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  MMJ 
#1 ·
i accidently deleted my temporary internet files folder - now i can not connect to the internet - what can i do to fix this problem?

#5 ·
the computer actually connects to the internet - but will not access any webpages or allow msn to connect - have tried to repair, reboot, enable/disable, roll back drivers, uninstall/reinstall drivers - i can get the error message again if you need it

#9 ·
Try this sytem repair if you want

You might have to remove the hard drive from this computer and install it in another computer as a slave drive and after it is able to be accessed by Windows on that computer you will have to manually backup all of your important data that you have to another media like CD-R's, DVD or Thumb drive. Then when this is done return it to the original computer as a master drive on the primary IDE cable and do the following:

REGISTRY WARNING: The details that follow require an above-average understanding of the technical topics involved. If you do not understand the Registry material presented here, either find a technically-knowledgeable friend or do not attempt to repair your system Registry yourself. Improper changes in the System Registry can render all data on your hard disk inaccessible.

I hope you have the Windows software for this machine. Please give this a try and print it out for reference

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/917964

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Here is a link to a registry backup program that is absolutely fantastic it is called ERUNT

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Remember to always keep a backup of two things:

Your registry and your data. You will never be sorry.

Here is an article on how to do what you want

How to Delete the Contents of the Temporary Internet Files Folder

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260897

#11 ·
so i can not get anything to come up when opening IE - get page can not be displayed - when trying to access live messenger it will not connect - i trouble shoot and it says IP is ok but the default gateway has a problem - all my other computers are working fine on the same connection

#16 ·
no i am using another comp to post - here is the thing - trying to help out this girl - cleaned up some programs for her - ran adware - installed and ran avg - everything worked fine - i told her to clean out her temporary internet files - she went into her cookies folder and deleted everything except some index file - since then it will connect to the web but we can not access anything - for example it will wirelessly connect to my hub - say it is connected but IE and messenger will not work or access the internet - currently it is hard wired to my connection - my current connection works fine - using same connection to post with this computer

#17 ·
If she just used Explorer to delete files in \Cookies and \Temporary Internet Files (not the way to do this, BTW), there should be no problems.

My "guess" would be that in the process of "cleaning", you )or AdAware) may have removed some Malware that has left some of it still behind.

Download, install and run HiJackThis

Copy/paste the created LOG file back here in a reply post for review.

#18 ·
Don't you think it is unlikely to be a virus? The computer was OK until it was "cleaned"

An option might be to repair IE go to;
Start |Run | type msinfo32 | press ok
Tools |Internet Explorer Repair Tool
Select Repair Internet Explorer when windows is ready it will reboot to
complete the repair.

If this fails try reinstalling IE over the top of itself. On your computer
using the 'Find' feature via 'Start | Find' search for ie5setup.exe. Double
click on this and follow the directions.
On your computer using the 'Find' feature via 'Start | Find' search for
ie5setup.exe. Double click on this and follow the directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.