Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Temporary Internet Files GONE!

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Huckleberry 
#1 ·
I have XP home, no LAN,Use MSIE 6. I noticed last night that my Temporary Internet Files Folder is nearly empty. Only 5 files there and, no matter how much I surf, nothing else shows up in the folder.

My cookies are gone, but since they are also in another folder, that is not a problem.

I have run Norton AV, checked System Tools, scanned and defragged, run Adaware and Spybot, etc. I also did a restore. Nothing shows up as unusual. All my critical updates are current, and just a few XP updates haven't been updated because they do not pertain to me, I don't *think*.

What else can I do, what may have caused this, in 8 years of computing, this is a first for me.

Thanks,
Huckleberry

#2 ·
Lets be certain you're looking in the right place for them. Right click the IE Desktop Icon and choose Properties. Then look in the Temporary Internet Files area and click the "Settings" button. Now look on that screen at "Current Location: and it will tell you the location of the folder.

#3 ·
Zephyr, I am confused. I have the IE icon on my quick launch bar. Or I access it via a button on my toshiba laptop. I dragged the sortcut onto my desktop, when I click properties, it doesn;'t show what you say. I have a temp int file shortcut on my DT, which I have used for 2 years. I look there, also go into Windows Explorer and see the same thing. Almost nothing. Is there another way for me to do what you suggest?

#7 ·
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to leave you hanging but something else pressed harder.

Most people have the blue IE applet icon on the Desktop. It has special properties far above a normal Iexplore.exe shortcut. Perhaps you have elected to not have it shown. You can enable it again in Control Panel > Display > Desktop > Customize Desktop > if you're interested. If not, you can get the info I outlined by going to Control Panel > Internet Options. It the same screen you would have gotten the other way.

FYI, I have several TIF folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files (6/8/2002 10:02:32 AM)
C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files (6/8/2002 10:02:32 AM)
C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files (10/3/2002 8:27:14 PM)
C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files (1/11/2004 8:53:48 PM)
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files (6/8/2002 10:02:30 AM)
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files (6/8/2002 10:02:30 AM)
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files (11/27/2002 3:18:02 PM)
C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\eHelp\LocalContent\Solo Content\Delete Temporary Internet Files.ihtm.html (1 KB, 11/7/2001 1:48:50 AM)
C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\eHelp\LocalContent\Solo Content\Delete Temporary Internet Files.ihtm.xml (12 KB, 11/7/2001 1:48:56 AM)
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files (10/25/2003 12:05:06 PM)

None of them have a single file in them since I have elected to keep my TIF folder on another drive. I thought maybe that might apply to your case if someone had changed the location.

Do a search with Windows Find for Temporary Internet Files and see how many hits you get.

#10 ·
If you don't have the latest Cumulative IE patch there would be an outside chance that installing it could effect a cure for this problem. Is it causing your browsing to lag slower than normal?

>> That update would be KB824145 and should show when you click on the browser Help > About Internet Explorer. If it lists Q828750 as the last one, you don't have the latest.

#11 ·
I believe I have that patch, my browser is speedy as usual. I'd never know I had a problem if I hadn't look in the TIP folder. I noticed a real slow-down a few months ago after I got cable and installed ZoneAlarm[free]. I've also lost the ability to hibernate or stand-by. Otherwise, things are good.

#12 ·
If none of that helps, reinstalling IE is the next step as far as I can see.

If you elect to go that route, here are a couple of links for research:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_reinstall_ie_and_oe_6.htm

also see:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q318378

>> There's a lot to be said for leaving it alone too. ;) Maybe something worse will happen some day and it'll all get fixed together. That sounds pessimistic doesn't it? :D

Let's say instead, maybe it'll go away by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.