Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Temporary Internet Files - not caching everything

11K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  edua 
#1 ·
In the past, whenever viewing embedded music, flash, and videos (large files) on webpages, they would always appear in my temporary internet files which was handy so I could go and grab them later if I wanted to.
I'm not working on a different PC and for some reason this isn't happening anymore. Is there any simple explanation for this? It's really frustrating.

thanks so much

#2 ·
"Temporary Internet Files" is a temporary / holding area. It is not, in my opinion, the best place to store files. If you empty your temporary internet files, or use a program to clean up your computer, your data, stored in temporary internet files" goes POOF!

Microsoft created "my documents" as a handy location for storing files, but you can put them almost anywhere.

I know someone who stored his files in the "recycle bin". I don't recommend this action!!! My point being that you can store your files ALMOST anywhere. If you have a CD or DVD burner, copy the files to disk.

RF123

#3 ·
rainforest123 said:
"Temporary Internet Files" is a temporary / holding area. It is not, in my opinion, the best place to store files. If you empty your temporary internet files, or use a program to clean up your computer, your data, stored in temporary internet files" goes POOF!

Microsoft created "my documents" as a handy location for storing files, but you can put them almost anywhere.

I know someone who stored his files in the "recycle bin". I don't recommend this action!!! My point being that you can store your files ALMOST anywhere. If you have a CD or DVD burner, copy the files to disk.

RF123
hi rainforest, I don't think you understand what I mean. I would never purposely store stuff in that folder. All I mean is that when browsing sites through IE, it normally saves a copy of everything in the temporary internet files. EG: if I were on YouTube, it would then save all the large Flv files in there, and I could go in and retrieve them and paste them somewhere else (my documents). It doesn't show all files there anymore. Understand what I mean now?

#4 ·
I am sure it is possible to change the default location.

Are all of the folders visible? Open "my computer". Across the top, left click on "tools" > folder options > "view" tab. In the "advanced settings" box. Is "show hidden files & Folders" selected? Is "hide protected .. ." files unchecked?

RF123

#6 ·
What you have to look at is the amount of memory used for this storage and the fact that it fills up and is not being emptied.

Try this Goto Control Panel
Open Internet Options
Goto Advanced Tab
Under Security put a check mark in Empty temporary internet files on exit
Calcic Apply then exit out

Reboot then after reboot open Internet Explorer and browse and then exit out of Internet Explorer and then this should empty the Temp Internet files automatically

#8 ·
Well, you have to admit that is an original solution. At least then you would know for sure where they are going!! LOL

I'm not sure it this will have any affect, but download and run CCleaner and have it clean the TIF files. This will delete the INDEX.dat files as well as the rest of the files.

Then reboot, and see if this has helped.

BTW how large is the TIF cache to start with?

#9 ·
I have it set at 5095MB.

Do me a favour.. go to a site like break.com or youtube.com and view a vid, and then see if it shows up in your temporary internet files afterwards. If it does, then that's correct. If it doesn't, then this is what's happening to me and i want to know why.

#10 ·
One thing you can not have it both ways there and not there. These are just temporary files. no matter which way you clean them they are gone and if you do not they are there and they are just like a bottle in this case full and no more will go in there. If you want them saved you will have to save them to another media like CD-R or DVD and then delete them.

CCCleaner deletes temp files and the second option down cleans the registry so that would be a great addition to your cleaning utilities.

#11 ·
Greiffel said:
I have it set at 5095MB.

Do me a favour.. go to a site like break.com or youtube.com and view a vid, and then see if it shows up in your temporary internet files afterwards. If it does, then that's correct. If it doesn't, then this is what's happening to me and i want to know why.
5095MB is just about 5080MBs too large.

5 GBs is ENORMOUS. Browser cache in the 15-20MB area should be more than enough.

Did you run CCleaner and then look again?

I went to www.break.com and viewed "Kid jumps from streetlight" (the twit), and ended up with a file in \TIF called kid_jumps_from_streelight.wmv.

One thing you can not have it both ways there and not there. These are just temporary files
AND, in the case of \TIF files they are there until you empty that folder or run a cleaner. For the \TIF folder, when it becomes full, it flushes the oldes ones to make more room. I'm not sure what your point is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.