Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Temporary internet files problem

783 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Morwenna 
#1 ·
Hello,
I wonder if someone can help me.

About temporary internet files, I regularly delete them by going to tools>internet options>general>delete temp files, but I noticed that when I run either my virus scan or my adware scan, it scans the temporay internet files for close to 2 hours, how can there be so many if I regularly delete them? I noticed the files it scans for so long are .IE5. Searching through the net I read that by going to tools, not all files are deleted, namely some index.dat files, and that it's hard to get rid of them. I read about a program, Mil Shield, that deletes them but haven't tried it yet.

My main problem is that whenever I scan my comp, it takes hours to scan because of the temp files. Can anyone advise on how to solve this issue? Is it good to delete index.dat files or would that cause problems?

Thank you
Morwenna

#2 ·
Get CCleaner it will delete the index.dat files and other temp files. Don't check anything under the Advanced section and don't run the Registry cleaner.

The first time you run it hit Analyze first and look through the files it's going to delete to make sure there's nothing there you want to save. When you hit Run Cleaner the file are gone for good.

#4 ·
Morwenna, "About temporary internet files, I regularly delete them by going to tools>internet options>general>delete temp files".

After you click that "Delete Files" button and the pop up window appears make sure that you checkmark the "Delete all off-line content" box then click OK.

Tufenuf

#5 ·
Thank you all for your help, it's much appreciated.

@stantley
what is the registry cleaner and why should I not run it? (excuse the stupid question:eek:) Thanks for the link.

@Tufenuf
After you click that "Delete Files" button and the pop up window appears make sure that you checkmark the "Delete all off-line content" box then click OK.
I don't have the option to "delete all offline content".:confused:
I just have a pop up saying "Are you sure you want to delete all internet explorer file?"

#6 ·
@stantley
what is the registry cleaner and why should I not run it?
When you open Ccleaner it'll say Registry on the left. It's the general consensus of most of us here at TSG that registry cleaners don't improve system performance and have the potential to do a lot of damage to your system. It's best to not run them at all.

Do a search here on 'registry cleaner' and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.