1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Temporary internet files

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by unstresst, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. unstresst

unstresst Thread Starter

..There's a File in temp internet files that I haven't seen before and when I am cleaning temp out I am told--[via pop-up] that this file is a program and something might not work properly if I delete it.
    ...This file is named 'desktop' I opened it .....Here's what was in it::
    ........"[.ShellClassInfo]
    UICLSID={7BD29E00-76C1-11CF-9DD0-00A0C9034933}"
    .......Can anyone tell if this needs to remain, or is it safe to delete?

2. unstresst

unstresst Thread Starter

....By the way....Another file I found there is an application called
    "FacemakerFix" anybody have a clue what that is?
    ...I buzzed the net and couldn't find that anywhere

3. BillC

BillC

Well, I found something that you might understand better than I do. If you do, post back so I'll understand too, ok.

Look here

About FaceMaker...could you right click on it and check it's properties?

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

unstresst
    The 7BD29E00-76C1-11CF-9DD0-00A0C9034933 Class ID is the correct one for the Desktop.ini file. Not sure why it would be appearing in the Temp Internet Files or for that matter in the C:\Windows\Temp folder if that is where you see it. The only reason you should see a Desktop.ini file is when you have some custom setting in the shell that is maintained from boot to boot.

If you a concerned about it then rename it desktop.old for noaw and see if something happens. That is of course if windows lets you.

The Facemaker Fix I have no clue about. If you do a Google search on Facemaker it show some hits.

Dave

5. unstresst

unstresst Thread Starter

...Moved them both out of temporary internet files.......and my google toolbar went away ..........put them both back.......still no google toolbar.......Easy enough to fix though
    ...........Thanx for the Input folks

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

No Problem!
    Take care.

Dave

7. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Anything in the Temporary Internet Files and all it's sub-folders is trash and can and should be deleted from time to time.
    When left alone, the TIF folder becomes a "landfill" of useless files. The same for the \windows\temp folder.

8. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

How to Delete in DOS and be done with it. Quick. Efficient

Start > Shutdown and Restart in MS_DOS mode

Once in DOS type in the following commands exactly:

SMARTDRV.EXE

CD \WINDOWS
    DELTREE /Y COOKIES
    DELTREE /Y HISTORY
    DELTREE /Y RECENT
    DELTREE /Y TEMP
    DELTREE /Y TEMPOR~1

ctrl-alt-delete to reboot to windows

Fear not, all of these folders will be recreated when you reboot windows.

Now that you have gotten rid of that "land fill" called Temporary Internet Files, you may want to reboot into Safe Mode and run defrag.

If you have never deleted Temporary Internet Files in the past, my guess is that you can recover 50 - 100 meg of HD space. Maybe more if you have never done it since day one.

The most space I have ever recovered from someone's PC was a whopping 1.3 gig.

Oh, by the way, boot time is slightly improved and you will notice a marked reduction in time to run a virus scan and defrag.

Next power down and then as you start up hold down the crtl key (depending on manufacture some use the F8 key. If ctrl doesn't work, try again using the F8 key) Which ever way is successful you should now have a black screen with a menu of 5 or 6 choices. Select Safe Mode.

Once in Safe Mode, click on Start > Run and type in scandisk
    This will take some time depending on the size of your HD and the speed of your PC in general.

Also while in Safe Mode, click on Start > Run and type in defrag. Defragging in Safe Mode is faster because defrag isn't interrupted by the windows background disk and "house keeping" calls.

Good Luck. Let us know how it works for you.

9. unstresst

unstresst Thread Starter

............THANX for that input
    Yup probably SHOULD do all that............[Ah but will I be able to handle the withdrawals while all this is goin on].....lolol

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice