1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Temporary Internet Files

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by JoeD., Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoeD.

JoeD. Thread Starter

Under Windows (98) Explorer, I find that my Temporary Internet files go to C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files instead of C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files. I am wondering if I deleted the Temporary Internet Files folder under Local Settings would Temporary Internet Files go back to their original folder configuration? Or should I just leave well enough alone?

2. starwaves77

starwaves77

Hi Joe,

If they were originally created there by 'windows' they will come back to 'local settings' , otherwise they will go to 'windows',

No harm in trying it,

But to just move the folder, which is what your trying to do, this will help,

Open 'internet options' , RIGHT click on your desktop internet explorer icon, select 'properties' , then in the 'temporary internet files' section, click on 'settings' , then click on 'move folder' , browse to 'windows' , highlight that and click ok,

or move to another location you like,

:)

3. JoeD.

JoeD. Thread Starter

Ok now the C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings don't get the Temporary Internet files. Instead they go down C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5... Is this a weird world or what? Any other suggestions or leave well enough alone?

4. john1

john1

Subscribing,
    mine go to local folders too ...

5. starwaves77

starwaves77

Joe,
    that path is correct, you have the 'tif' folder in 'windows' like you originally wanted. The 'content ie5' folder is also correct, and if you open that folder you'll find 5 more folders that may have 'tif' files in them too,

The only thing I see is the double 'tif' folder's in your path, if that was not a typo, and you have 2 temporary internet file folders, one inside the other, than do this,

Use windows explorer and go to the 'tif' folder. Open the +sign on all the folders, now click on 'content ie5' and drag it into the top parent 'tif' folder,

So you have; C:\windows\temporary internet files\content ie5\temporary internet files

Now right click on and delete the bottom 'temporary internet file' folder

And it's perfect,

6. Mowergun

Mowergun Guest

Hi,

starwave77's advice looks like it will work to me.

If you still have a problem with windows wanting to put the file in the wrong folder after following starwave77's advice, the following theoretical idea occured to me:

You could go to start>run and in the space type "regedit" without the quotation marks to open the Registry Editor. Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

In the tree to the left, left click on the "Shell Folders" key to open the little folder icon.Then back up the Shell Folders key by opening the "Registry" menu at the top and selecting "Export Registry File". Give the file a name and then save the file. If things go awry, you can always double click on the exported registry file to merge the back-up into your registry and restore the key to it's current state.

Then in the right pane look for "Cache". Select cache and then open the "edit" menu at the top and select "modify" and then in the "Value Data:" pane type "C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files" without the quotation marks. Save the changes and then exit the Registry Editor and reboot your computer.

Making a mistake in the registry can render your computer unusable, so if you do not feel comfortable editing the registry then it might be best to leave well enough alone.

Remember that in Win98 a previous good registry can always be restored from DOS by booting to DOS and at the prompt type "scanreg /restore" without the quotation marks and then hit the "enter" key, (note the space between scanreg and /restore), and then selecting a previous copy of your registry to restore.(This is assuming that ScanRegistry, ie scanregw.exe, has not been disable in your start-up group)

7. starwaves77

starwaves77

Mowergun,
    Excellent~! Thanks for posting that idea,

8. JoeD.

JoeD. Thread Starter

I tried both ways. When I try to drag Temporary Internet Folder onto the other Windows says it can't move onto another with the same name. After a regedit, I get in the left plane of Window Explorer C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 and all the Content.IE5 sub-folders twice, with the internet files going into the first string. The whole thing reads like this: C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5. Any other suggestions???? Thanks.

9. Mowergun

Mowergun Guest

Hi,

Open windows explorer, and in the tree to the left click on the first Temporary Internet Files folder. In the right pane I assume then you will see the contents of the "C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files" folder. If I understand correctly, in the right pane you will see another Temporary Internet Files folder. Delete everything in the "C:WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files" folder including all sub-folders. Then reboot and windows should re-create the correct sub-folders within the C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files folder.

P.S. Before doing anything, could you open windows explorer and take a screen shot and post the screen shot as an attachement to a reply? This is just to make sure we understand correctly what you now have.

BTW, I have deleted all of the sub-folders in C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files many times in the past, including Content.IE5, and Windows always re-creates them when they are needed.

10. JoeD.

JoeD. Thread Starter

thanks in advance (y)

Attached Files:

11. Mowergun

Mowergun Guest

Hi,

Ok, I see from your exploring.jpg image that I understood your previous description correctly. If you have not already done so, then just expand the tree to the left as you did in the image and then right click on the lower Temporary Internet Files folder and select delete to delete the extra folder and all of it's sub-folders.

Also, if you have not already done so, edit the value data string in the registry as I described in post #6 above.

Please let us know if this solved your problem.

12. JoeD.

JoeD. Thread Starter

These are the promps Windows puts up when I try to delete Temporary Internet Files Folders. I tried the first suggestion as well. It'll let me drag the IE5 Content and it's sub folders into the other. It'll do it then I'm left with not being able to delete the second Temporary Internet Files Folder. Thanks again.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      25.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      31.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      37.1 KB
      Views:
  13. Mowergun

Mowergun Guest

Hmm, I didn't expect that. As a test, I just renamed my Temporary Internet Files folder and windows let me do it. So, I would suggest that you first rename the lower TIF folder, and if successful, then try to delete it.

14. starwaves77

starwaves77

Hey guys,

I set up the same test Mowergun did, and it worked for me too, but I also got Joe's error message once,

I've done this in the registry per Mowergun's string edit and changed it successfully too,

But if your machine still can't make any headway,
    How about deleting that directory from DOS:

try from your ms dos prompt first, (start / programs /ms dos mode) if that doesn't work, restart in dos mode;

>start / programs / ms dos prompt

it should be at C:\windows, if you see anything else than your first command is >

C\

now you should be back to C:\>

type all the following commands and hit enter after each;

cd windows
    cd tempor~!

you should be at C:\windows\temporary internet files

now type,
    deltree tempor~1

if you get an error message, then try>
    del *.*
    warning: do not use del*.* unless you are exactly at c:\windows\temporary internet files,

the objective being to delete all sub directories of your first in line 'temporary internet files' folder

while your still in c:\windows\temporary internet files

type dir

does it come back empty or do you still see that folder listed?
    however, knowing the way this is flowing, it may delete it, but it will then restore it too,

-------

second thought:

delete the registry entry for 'temporary internet files' entirely, follow Mowergun's path in post #6,

then delete the folder if you can, in dos, as outlined above,

then create a NEW folder called temporary internet files at C:\windows,

go back to 'internet options' (right click on desktop explorer icon) go to 'settings' and move the folder again to the new one you created,

The whole idea being, wipe out the folder path you have now completely, and create a new one, than move the 'tif' to it using internet options,

15. JoeD.

JoeD. Thread Starter

i came in on the computer scene on a mac. then i bought an ibm compatable pc and started out with windows 95. i know nothing about dos. everytime i try, dos never works. i'll try the renaming thing and let you know what happens.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223202

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice