1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Temporary Internet Files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by daverose808, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daverose808

daverose808 Thread Starter

I have Windows XP SP2, and using "TreeSize Free", i found out that i have so many gigs wasting away in my temporary internet files folder. it seems like every time i watched a video online, it was saving a copy in there?! is there a way to stop that from happening, so i dont have to delete all of it after it builds up?

2. valis

valis Moderator

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
    This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only

• Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
      Under Main choose: Select All
      Click the Empty Selected button.
    If you use Firefox browser
    • Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
      NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
    If you use Opera browser
    • Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
      NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
    Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
    For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Go to IE > Tools > Internet Options > Temporary Internet Files > Settings and change the size to 15MBs

4. daverose808

i never use IE; i only use firefox. do i still need to go thru IE to get that 15mb result? or were u assuming i was using IE?

5. WhitPhil

The folder in question is called ....\Temporary Internet Files\ ?

If so, that is the IE browser cache and if it is large, it would "appear" that at some point IE was used on your PC.

So yes, to shrink it, you will need to go to IE.

Check after running ATF cleaner to see if the files are gone or not. I don't know if this program deletes the cache or not.

6. valis

valis Moderator

yup, it does. Only two downsides I've been able to find is that it won't flush out the restore point and it blows out your prefetch folder, so the next boot takes about 30 seconds longer as xp rebuilds it.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Don't forget you can do the same thing in Firefox as well which is "Tools", "Options", "Advanced", "Cache" and set that to 15 meg if you like as well.

8. WhitPhil

Good to know.

The downside I don't like about the app, is that it doesn't list what it is about to delete. It just "does it"! The first time I ran it, it certainly caught me by surprise, cause I tend to keep files in my Temp folder that are really Temp, BUT I don't just want them to arbritrarily disappear.

9. WhitPhil

That would affect the size of the FF cache, but not the size of \Temporary Internet Files.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

I know, I was concerned there may be a problem there as well, especially if IE is the default browser even though the user uses Firefox for surfing.

11. daverose808

temp internet files in IE settings were set at 1024 for some reason (FF was set at 50). i still dont understand why if i never use IE, it was saving stuff in that folder...

12. alisongrey

alisongrey Banned

No idea why it would save in to the wrong folder, maybe if you set a browser to inherit settings from another it'll take on the Temp folder? Shouldn't do, that's a bit strange.

Anyway, as the others have said, you can restrict the amount of space that gets allocated to your Temporary Internet Files. Just remember that a lot of the time, its those temp files that enable pages to load fast! If you set it to a very low minimum, you might lose a bit of time through having a smaller cache. I never bother to clear mine, but I used to when I was pressed for disk space!

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

It could be that the default browser is still IE where you yourself always start with FF, links like in your email or browsing popups you use are from IE.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice