Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Temporary Internet Files

952 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Rich-M 
#1 ·
I have Windows XP SP2, and using "TreeSize Free", i found out that i have so many gigs wasting away in my temporary internet files folder. it seems like every time i watched a video online, it was saving a copy in there?! is there a way to stop that from happening, so i dont have to delete all of it after it builds up?

#2 ·
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only

• Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
    Under Main choose: Select All
    Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browser
  • Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browser
  • Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

#5 ·
The folder in question is called ....\Temporary Internet Files\ ?

If so, that is the IE browser cache and if it is large, it would "appear" that at some point IE was used on your PC.

So yes, to shrink it, you will need to go to IE.

Check after running ATF cleaner to see if the files are gone or not. I don't know if this program deletes the cache or not.

#6 ·
yup, it does. Only two downsides I've been able to find is that it won't flush out the restore point and it blows out your prefetch folder, so the next boot takes about 30 seconds longer as xp rebuilds it.

#8 ·
yup, it does. Only two downsides I've been able to find is that it won't flush out the restore point and it blows out your prefetch folder, so the next boot takes about 30 seconds longer as xp rebuilds it.
Good to know.

The downside I don't like about the app, is that it doesn't list what it is about to delete. It just "does it"! The first time I ran it, it certainly caught me by surprise, cause I tend to keep files in my Temp folder that are really Temp, BUT I don't just want them to arbritrarily disappear.

#10 ·
That would affect the size of the FF cache, but not the size of \Temporary Internet Files.
I know, I was concerned there may be a problem there as well, especially if IE is the default browser even though the user uses Firefox for surfing.

#12 ·
No idea why it would save in to the wrong folder, maybe if you set a browser to inherit settings from another it'll take on the Temp folder? Shouldn't do, that's a bit strange.

Anyway, as the others have said, you can restrict the amount of space that gets allocated to your Temporary Internet Files. Just remember that a lot of the time, its those temp files that enable pages to load fast! If you set it to a very low minimum, you might lose a bit of time through having a smaller cache. I never bother to clear mine, but I used to when I was pressed for disk space!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.