Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

temporary profile - help!

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  a_doyle 
#1 ·
hi guys,

whilst messing around trying to change the permissions on an external hard drive, i irresponsibly executed some command or other i found on google. i was supposed to execute it on the external drive but unfortunately i didn't change the drive in command prompt.

problem is - i dont have a clue what the command was!

and now i have the dreaded problem of a TEMPORARY PROFILE every time i log in.

i have found other threads which suggest backing up everything from that profile and then deleting it and reinstating it.

unfortunately - i can't do this,for a couple of reasons -

A. for some reason,permissions on my system are completely messed up. i can't take any files from the folder with the (TRUE) administrator account because i don't have the permissions to,

B. i have a 120gb HDD, 110GB of which is the files for my profile - music, videos, etc. i have nowhere to copy them to!

if anybody has any suggestions or ways to help me i would be extremely appreciative.

the only thing i know about the command is that it was something related to changing an ACL (access control list). looks like i've altered the access to my profile, so that my profile cannot access it, if that makes sense!

i'll post this now and then i'll scour google to try and find the command which i typed.

PS - i've tried system restore, to no avail

See less See more
#2 ·
edit -

i found the command which i entered -

cacls * /G Ant:F /T

("Ant" being the username of the profile)

**EDIT**

backed up the files onto the hard drive root, deleted the account, re-created the account and now i cannot transfer the original users/ant/* folders, into the new users/ant folder, even though all of the permissions are set correctly.

can anyone help me with this?

when i try to copy, using either administrator, or the new "Ant" account, it says -

"You need permission to perform this action", and gives the options "Try again", "Skip" and "Cancel".

**FINAL EDIT**

sorry to waste anyones time, i managed to fix this, i changed ownership of all of the files to administrator, moved them back into /users/Ant, set the new account as administrator, and then transferred ownership from there. For some reason before i took ownership with administrator account, it wouldnt let me take ownership with "Ant", so i had to do it the long way.

hopefully my little self-discussion may help someone else along the lines

ciao!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.