1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

temporary video freeze

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dbadoo44, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dbadoo44

Dbadoo44 Thread Starter

Hello,
    My other computer is an Asus A7N8X Deluxe retail, 1.5 Gg RAM (Kingston pc 2700, AMD Athlon XP 2700, Asus Ti 9280 video card with 128 meg. When my son plays video (Morrowind, Star Wars) the video freezes every five seconds on Star Wars for a half a second. I have noticed that the fan on the video card may have a bad bearing as it is noisy for the first minute but smoths out and seems to spin @ full RPM. Case is a Chieftech tower with 2 80mm front fans pulling in and two 80mm fans moving the air out the back. Chieftech wireless keyboard and mouse @12 - 24".
    Thanks in advance

2. Kevbum522

Kevbum522

Okay, well like you said, the fan could be an issue (as far as heat goes), but you also may want to make sure you have the correct video drivers installed (check chipset manufacturer's website for updates) also, you may want to check out the settings of your video card to make sure that it is configured to let the applications handle how the features of it (direct3d, opengl) such as antialiasing and vertical sync. Check the manufacturer of your video card's website for details on how to properly configure these settings

3. omegax

omegax

Since that video card is really an Nvidia Ti4200 with an Asus sticker on it, go download the latest driver set from nvidias site. I've found that no driver works better than the nvidia made drivers. Also, if that doesn't work right, try an earlier rev. I've found that I can never run the latest driver set successfully for all of my games, there's always a few that don't like it, so I have to resort to the driver before that. Not much else that would cause this, as my machines aren't quite as fast as yours, and play those games beautifully.

---------------------------------------------
    omegax
    www.computer-discounts-guide.com

4. Dbadoo44

Dbadoo44 Thread Starter

Thankyou for the response. I will try them and let you know.

5. suesman

suesman

I have the same card & I'm running the 40.72's now. They seem to be the best for me. I've tried all the newest & while the 43.45s worked ok, these are so much better.

I've been using Asus video cards for quite a while now & they do tend to run a bit hotter than most. I had a fan on a V8200 GF3 Ti500 die, but I didn't lose the card. :D I've since used a Zalman ZM80A-HP Heatpipe Cooler on them & I've had no probelms at all.

Pain in the butt I know, but you just gotta try different drivers until you find one that works best with all your regular programs.

Nvidia
    drivers

My specs are similar to yours.
    Gigabyte GA-7VAXP
    Athlon XP2400+ - Speeze all copper heatsink modified w\an 80mm Speeze fan on top.
    Corsair 512MB PC2700 DDR 333MHz - Thermaltake Active Memory Cooling Kit
    ASUS V9280 Geforce4 Ti4200 128MB - Zalman ZM80A-HP VGA Heatpipe Cooler
    120gig IBM Deskstar - Speeze 4B02S4 Hard Disk Cooler
    LG 16x DRD-8160B DVD
    LG GCE 8240b 24x10x40 CD-RW
    Farralon NIC <Realtek RTL8139 drivers - Cable Internet
    AC97 Avance Logic ALC650
    Polk-Audio AMR150 speakers
    NEC AccuSync AS70 17"
    Windoze XP Pro
    All inside a highly ( and I do mean highly ) modified Gateway case w\ 4 80x80mm Speeze case fans, Vantec round cables all around, Digital Doc 5 & an Antec 430W TRUE430 PSU

Old Gateway keyboard < used to it I guess
    Microsoft Optical wheel mouse
    Microsoft Sidewinder ForceFeedback Pro joystick

6. Dbadoo44

Dbadoo44 Thread Starter

Hello, I tried the 40.72 last night but I believe I inadvertantly downloaded 2000 instead of xp. Just got a bunch of drivers, including40.72 xp, that I will try later, (at work now). 45.73 did not make any difference at all, still freezing every 5 secs on star wars and longer uneven intervals on morrowind. Talk to ya later!

7. Dbadoo44

Dbadoo44 Thread Starter

Did your card freeze the game for a sec with the 45.73?

8. suesman

suesman

In some games yes, but mostly is was an artifact problem. I couldve just got a bad file, but when I switched back to the 40.72's it went away & I've had no such problems since.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170403

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice