1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jackstoner, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackstoner

jackstoner Thread Starter

I have a Intel E6550 2.33 ghz processor with a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro and the temps are Core 0 = 43 C and Core 1 = 47 C. While the entire processor is at 36 C.

Arent these temps too high with this HSF?

Also it summer and 85 F in my room. Is that the sole cause?

Thanks.

2. baladio

baladio

I wouldn't say those were very high. I think they're decent; nowhere near overheating temp. which is I think about 80C or so, I heard, at least for one model of Core 2 Duo, and probably similar with other C2D models. Different factors can affect how well a cooler cools:
    - How well it is seated
    - What kind of Thermal Interface Material (TIM) is used
    - How much TIM is used
    - How well the case is ventilated/how much heat other parts generate
    - Room temperature/ventilation (a room may be a good temperature at first, but if you don't have A/C on and no windows/doors open, the room can heat up significantly just from the computer.)
    - Other small factors, like possible air bubbles in TIM, etc.
    Also, some temperature reporting software/hardware may be inaccurate to a certain degree. Most of the time they are not terribly off, but I have heard of cases where it seemed as though the temp. reporting device/software was over 15 degrees off or more.

3. Compiler

Compiler

The most reliable TEMP reading is what BIOS reports... sticking a sensor onto your CPU doesn't help since it creates a gap - but older PCs did include sensors likes that :)

ASUS is/was usually 5c higher than it really it.

Lets compare TEMPS with 2 programs.

ITEM SIW PCW Difference
    Core1 56c 48c x8
    Core2 45c 44c x1
    Core3 44c 44c x0
    Core4 49c 46c x3
    CPU ~~~ 41c SIW reports nothing
    N-B ~~~ 34c (North Bridge/mobo)
    GPU 59c 59c
    HDD 46c 46c

Under BIOS, CPU = 37c, NB = 33c. Reducing my Case fan to LOW, those temps rose to CPU = 44c NB = 40c. GPU & HD also warmed up 2c each.
    The reduction of noise wasn't worth the extra 7c in CPU heat.

I'm overclocking by 400mhz, not bad. I don't think my case has the BEST cooling, but its still a nice case ;) Anyways, notice only the GPU & HDD report the same data. I don't think the HD is really that hot. PCW reports on my son's PC as being 37C - but it has worse ventilation and the drive feels pretty much the same. A 9c temp difference should be noticable.

I testing, I've increased the speed of my main case fan... too much wind noise. But the temps of CPU's cores have dropped by 1-2c. Not worth the noise. Hmmm, think I'll try the lowest setting and see how much hotter it gets inside.

But yeah, in the winter or a lot of AC, the ambiant temp of the room will effect the temp of the computer. The case design, cooling fans used and dirt clogging fans, filters, vents can effect the cooling performance. An example, this exact same quad setup that I put into an Antec300 (the entire front is an air-vent, it has 2 case fans near the CPU) - even on a setting of LOW and OC, the software said I was about 5c across the board cooler.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

The thermal spec for the E6550 is 72C. A Tc of 36C is just fine, no problem whatsoever.

5. baladio

baladio

Even the BIOS/motherboard's reading of the CPU diodes can be off to a certain degree (no pun), but like I said above, not usually that much. You can have a sensor on the outside of the CPU, as long as you're prepared to do a little subtraction and percentages/ratios to adjust for the amount of heat that is lost from the inside of the CPU to wherever the outside sensor is, assuming that the internal readings are right, of course. Just look at whatever the temp display is showing for the outside sensor (a good fan controller I believe reads its own diodes better than a motherboard reads a foreign CPU's internal sensor), and at the same time look at the readings for the inside through software/BIOS, and calculate how much higher of a percentage the inside temp is over the outside one, then apply that percentage for whenever you look at the outside display, and set any alarm for the outside display to go off at the temperature at which you reckon that the inside temp is hot enough for the alarm to go off. Some fan controllers have alarms that go off at a temperature that you can set. A good one is the Akasa Fan Control Pro, or the Super Flower Fan Master, which is the same thing.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/730895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice