1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Terminal Server license server(s)? RDP client for Windows2K?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by humbletech99, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. humbletech99

humbletech99 Thread Starter

I'm looking at setting up windows 2003 terminal servers all over the place to replace the awful thing people are currently doing here - vncing servers with one small shared password among everyone <holding my hands over my ears for the backlash>. Don't blame me, it's another awful legacy I have to get rid of...

1. I've got to set up a Terminal Server Licensing server and was thinking about putting this on my second domain controller. I was wondering what would happen in this server dies, though. Is there some way of having resilience in this scenario? Perhaps a second Licensing server or something, the way you have 2 or more Domain Controllers?

2. Also, I know that Windows XP has an RDP client, I've used before on many occasions, but what about all the Windows 2000 clients that I still have out there. What should I do for them to access the new Terminal Servers?

2. gurutech

gurutech

I'm not 100% sure on #1, but I believe that the TS licensing becomes integrated into the AD, so if one DC goes down, the other one will be able to check licensing. On another note, if you are using the TS for administration only, I don't believe you needs the TS Licensing to be installed.

For #2, you can download the latest version of the RDP client from MS's website. It should also be available through Windows Updates, although I think Win2K isn't supported any longer, other than Critical Updates.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/528443

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice