terminal services/connecting remotely

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chewie1012

A client has a win2k server at one location. They have a second location and would like to connect to the server from location 2 with their desktops. How do you set up the ip addresses? They have dsl with static ip addresses I believe at both locations. I know you can use terminal services I just don't know how to set up the ip addresses. Do you assign an ip? Do you use the ip given to you by the ISP? Thanks in advance. Or is there somewhere I can read up on this. Ip addressing etc. I have the microsoft windows server study book ( its about as big as a dictionary). It doesn't seem to have a lot of how to in it.
Jerry

You can setup a VPN. I know you already have one Microsoft Study Book, but check out the MSCE Windows 2000 Server 2nd Edition book from Microsoft itself. Server 2000 can handle 256 simultaneous remote connections.

chewie1012

mcsa/mcse Microsoft Windows server 2000 second edition is the book I have. It is the self paced training book. I guess what I need to know is do I use the ip address that the isp gives us and set the network card in the server to that IP address. Then use that address as the default gateway on all the other desktops? Can the ip addresses be anything as long as they aren't duplicated and the default is the ip address the isp gives us? Do I have to set up something in the router also?
Thanks
Jerry

chewie1012

Maybe I am not wording what I need right. This is my ip address.
68.42.157.xxx I would like to be able to access my servers files from say a friends house. I have two network cards in my server. One is set to 192.168.1.113 for specify an ip address with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and a default gateway of 192.168.1.1 How do I configure tcp/ip on the second network card using my static ip address. I have tried to vpn my way in and i get this message error 800 unable to establish a connection. I believe I have access rights set up on the server. I am using administrator and a password to try and vpn in. When I do a search for my ip address it finds it and it comes up saying web client network. I am aware of tight vnc. I just would like to know how to set up this and use it. I would think with a server and another xp computer I could connect remotely without having to use msn messanger or

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online