1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Terrible FPS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spectro, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spectro

Spectro Thread Starter

Okay, so I've been having problems with my FPS in games even as old as Half-Life 2/Garry's Mod. I've gone through every troubleshooting step possible with my video card, and nothing seems to be wrong with it. I have almost no background applications running (under my username). I even had my friend bring over his video card (which is the same model, and works fine for him) to test it out and I didn't have any increase in FPS with his either. I was going to get around to reformatting my hdd and doing a clean install of Windows 7, and now I think I'll do it even sooner, now that this is happening. I have asked a few friends, and they have no clue what is going on. Some are even very experienced with hardware. Short of taking my rig to my local PC store to get diagnostics run for $80, I don't know what to do.

DxDiag is attached.

Please help

Attached Files:

2. sickcars

sickcars

What are your computer specs and your friends computer specs that have the same video card?

Did it recently start giving you lower FPS or was it always low but lower then your friends with the same card? Have you tried updating the video card drivers? Have you made sure the computer and video card fan/heatsinks are clean from dust to make sure the card is not actually overheating and giving you low FPS? Lower your resolution and you should get better FPS.

3. Spectro

Spectro Thread Starter

AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core Processor 2.2GHz
    4096MB RAM
    500GB HDD
    Radeon HD 4890
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Not sure on his specs.

Recently started getting lower FPS. Yes, I've updated the drivers. Tried rolling back as well. Computer/heatsinks are clean. Screen resolution and settings do not effect performance at all. In fact, changing them makes performance worse.

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Based on what you have said I would say the problem isn't with your graphics card. This is because you say you have tried your friends card which is the same and still have the problem, yet it works fine on his machine. You could also try your card in his machine if you haven't already, if it works OK in his then it's not the card.

I would go through all the normal clean up procedures to start off with just to be sure. Defrag the hard drive, run Malwarebytes antimalware (www.malwarebytes.org), its free and ive found it very good, do a full antivirus scan aswell.

5. Spectro

Spectro Thread Starter

I've defragged and scanned. I've already stumped three friends. I am seriously lost.

6. rfritzemeier

rfritzemeier

Run this program, restart if it asks you to, keep running it over and over again until nothing is found. Tell Vundo to take a hike :p

Note: If you can't download the program, or it crashes once you try and run it, that means you're infected. If you can't download it, install it from a flash drive in safe mode. If it crashes when you run it, install it on a friends computer, rename the executable to gibberish (instead of mbam.exe, make it aksljdfalksjdf.exe) copy it into the program directory and then run.

On a side note, if you have already run mbam with no luck, try reading up on the Phenom TLB Erratum error. I don't remember the specifics of which CPUs it applies to and I don't have the experience to walk you through it myself, but I know that unless you have the proper fix for it, that can SEVERELY effect performance, and you may have gotten the problem through a windows update. Just read up on it if all else fails.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13741

Basically to fix it, you have to unpatch the problem. Most desktop users wouldn't have an issue with the erratum from what I've heard/remember. You get a nice performance boost by unpatching it.

7. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

That's good advice, however, know that Malwarebyte's Antimalware will probably give you a false positive if you are running Win7 x64. I don't remember the exact name of the "infection" but it had to do with "display properties hijack" or something. If you get this, just ignore it. If you get anything else then you are probably infected.

Since you tested with a similar graphics card but you still had problems, try checking if the PCI-E bus is set to the correct speed. Download GPU-Z:

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Run the program and see if your PCI-E bus is set at 16x or 1x. Checking the temperatures of your processor and GPU wouldn't hurt either.

Another thing you could try is downloading and installing the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard. You should be able to find them on the manufacturer's website.

Last but not least, you should find some info on your power supply unit. If the PSU is bad or simply insufficient it may have serious trouble feeding a card like the HD4890. If you can't locate its manual you should open your case and locate your PSU. Check its label for this info:

- Wattage.
    - Number of +12V rails (look for +12V, +12V1, +12V2 etc).
    - Current rating of the +12V rails (measured in amperes - look for something like +12V1 - 18A etc).
    - Make and model.

8. Spectro

Spectro Thread Starter

I have no idea what to do with that TLB erratum thing.

PCI-E bus is set at x16. Temperatures are fine, I think.

581.5W.. I think.
    3 +12v rails and also -12v
    Coolmax CU-600B

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You need to post your exact system specs; ie make and model of mb, brand and wattage of pw supply, brand and speed of ram, etc.
    If possible, post links to your parts.

The tlb issue is for even numbered amd quads ie 9500, 9600, etc. It was fixed with the -50s were released ie the 9750, etc. There is a bios update or patch that addresses this issue so you need to know exactly what mb you have AND what bios version you are running.

10. Spectro

Spectro Thread Starter

OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2x2048MB)

MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum Motherboard - nForce 750a, Socket AM2+, ATX, Audio, Video, DVI, PCI Express 2.0, USB 2.0, SATA, RAID, SLI

Coolmax 600W 120mm Fan Modular PSU w/ PCI-E

How do I find out what bios version I have?

11. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I checked the bios files at the msi site and none make mention of a tlb fix. Check your bios to see if you have this option. Since you have one of the problem cpus, you need to enable the tlb.

Was this install of win7 a clean install or was this an upgrade?

13. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Did you update your drivers correctly? That is, did you uninstall the old drivers, delete the ATI folder on the C: drive, reboot, then install the new drivers?

Courtney

P.S. Make sure you delete the ATI folder before you reboot. Otherwise, Windows 7 (knowing where the drivers are) will just reinstall the old drivers.

14. Spectro

Spectro Thread Starter

Clean install. It seems like it was actually an upgrade, though. It created Windows.old and kept a few folders in in my C drive.

Bios is v3.4

I can try to reinstall the drivers the way you said to do.

Edit: Windows 7 automatically installed the drivers so I can't remove them via add/remove programs or CCleaner. How do I uninstall the drivers?
    Edit2: I removed the ATI folders and reinstalled that way. I don't know if that was the correct way to do it.
    I am also getting loading times of 5-10 minutes, which is ridiculous and makes me think that it could be my processor.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If it created a windows.old folder, it was an upgrade or possibly a clean install where there was no supported upgrade path however the older version of windows is still there. FWIW I would just backup whatever data/work files you need and do a clean install. Make sure you delete ALL partitions on the disk on which you install windows.

Upgrades are problematic at best so I would clean install win7.

When you do the clean install of win7, install in this order;
    1 Install win7
    2 Install your chipset/mb drivers. [Note there were none on the msi site however you can download the chipset driver directly from the nvidia site]
    3 Install any add-in cards as necessary
    4 Install your video driver
    5 Activate windows and do windows updates
    6 Make an image backup of your drive. If you need a clean install in the future, it takes all of 5min to restore the image and have a clean install.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/894182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice