1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Terrible Wifi Problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jlevin8, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jlevin8

jlevin8 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have been having SO many problems for the past few months connecting to my home WIFI network. Here is what is going on:

I have the following:

Dell Inspiron running Windows XP
    Router
    Netgear Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender
    Obtaining IP automatically

Originally, after installing the range extender, I could only get internet when connecting to the extender, and while I could connect to the original router, it would not load my internet. Then it went back to working for about a week.

Now, I have the error saying that Windows cannot find a certificate. I have done extensive research on this and found that the only solution was to uncheck the "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication" box. This was never checked in the first place. and is both gray and unchecked.

Whats strange is that I never changed any of the settings on my adapter. It just randomly stopped working and is so fickle. I tried getting a wifi signal on my smart phone. HALF of the time it works on my smart phone. The other half it doesn't. I even somehow got internet access on my computer while my adapter was both 'searching for a signal' and 'cannot find a certificate,' although that was only once...

Then the other half of the time I get the triangle ! saying that it cannot find or connect to the internet.

It seems that everyone in the house that is hard wired is fine.

Here is what I have done:

1. Deleted the SSID from the Available Network Connections to refresh the settings
    2. Deleted the security settings in the router settings and made the connection "open"
    3. Did a system restore to back when it was working
    4. did a /flushdns and ipconfig /release and /renew
    5. Made sure that DHCP is running on my router

What am I doing wrong? Does anyone know?

Is there a way I can just revert back to all original settings on the network adapter and start from the default settings? With all these different problems -- It seems that the only way to troubleshoot this is to just start over.

Thoughts?

Thanks alot

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver. If it is an integrated adapter get the driver from Dell's web site.

If you are getting a decent signal but can't connect disable encryption on the router and try to connect. If successful you can probably re-enable encryption and reconnect.

What wireless utility (XP's WZC, Dell WLAN, one that comes with the adapter)? Are you sure no other one is running?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector and show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. jlevin8

jlevin8 Thread Starter

i dont think i need a new driver. would it just conk out for no reason?

I am getting no signal at all. It wont even let me connect. I keep getting the "cannot get certificate" error.

I am using windows to configure.

Is there a way to revert the network adapter to its original settings?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you were thinking you would have already checked to make sure you have the latest correct one. :)

Then obviously you cannot connect. Are you trying from about six to ten feet from the router? Do you have any way of determining whether the router's wireless is on and the SSID broadcast is enabled?

In Device Manager uninstall the adapter; reboot and let Windows discover the adapter and reinstall the driver.

5. jlevin8

jlevin8 Thread Starter

Thanks will try. I am saying i dont need a new driver bc I CAN connect to OTHER SSID's, but not my router.

And its not a matter of signal strength... I literally cant connect. It tells me It cant issue or find a certificate... OR it goes to the yellow "!" box.

So i know its not my adapter problem. It MUST be something up with the specific wifi settings either on my ROUTER or within the SSID settings on my computer...

Any ideas would be helpful thanks!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030963

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice