Terry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

terry1940

New to this site, just joined, I have just joined sky tv & broadband, pc conected ok but laptop will not, asking me for WEP or Wpa key, What's that and where do I find it, thanks Terry

etaf

Wayne
the key is a security device to stop anyone logging onto your wireless signal and using it to do illegal things , which you would be responsible for - so quite a good thing to have

Now to find the key - its often written on a label on the router itself - see if you can find the key and use that

WEP and WPA are just different forms of security protocol - most modern devices have WPA2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access

If its not written on the router - then you will need to log into the router and see what the password is set to
post back the make and exact model of the router sky provided

terry1940

All I have on the router is Wireless network is called (Name) - Password - Pin, also Serial Number and MAC number, none seem to work!

etaf

Wayne
Password - Pin
Password or PIN should work -

Are you using exactly the digits as described - so if any capital letters used - you need to use capitals

on Virgin media I used the PIN and connected to a router OK

Lets remove all the wireless profiles you have and then start again

not sure what version of windows you have - so would you post the version you have XP, Vista, W7

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to remove Wireless Profiles
http://mgmcc.forumotion.net/t109-removing-an-existing-wireless-profile

How to remove Wireless Profiles - for Vista and Windows 7
http://mgmcc.forumotion.net/networking-tutorials-f17/removing-an-existing-wireless-profile-t109.htm
- Vista/Windows7:
http://www.tp-link.com/support/showfaq.asp?id=214
- delete the wireless profiles
Start> control Panel> classic view> network and sharing center> manage wireless networks

Delete the profiles
you will then have to enter the wireless security key for any networks you connect to - so make sure you know the correct password , and not using an incorrect password at all

How to remove Wireless Profiles - for XP
http://mgmcc.forumotion.net/networking-tutorials-f17/removing-an-existing-wireless-profile-t109.htm
- XP
http://www.tp-link.com/support/showfaq.asp?id=186
- delete the preferred networks
start> control panel> network connections> right click on the wireless connection> listed wireless networks tab in the preferred network list click on each one and - remove button

you will then have to enter the wireless security key for any networks you connect to - so make sure you know the correct password , and not using an incorrect password at all

terry1940

OK thanks have that part up and running, now I have a Devolo unit to take the signal downstairs to my laptop working on XP, it used to pick the signal up OK with virgin, but now although the bars show full signal, it states "Limited or no signal" you may not be able to access the internet! so I have asked it to repair, but it stays the same

etaf

Wayne
How are you using this - via an ethernet cable
are these the units ?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-Highspeed-Ethernet-Adapter-85Mbps/dp/B000A7IE88

have you done a complete power cycle

How to power cycle

“power cycle” process to reboot or reset the modem/router
  • Switch off all the devices modem, router and computers also unplug their power cables.
  • Wait at least 30 seconds.
  • Plug the power cords back in, but don’t switch them on.
  • First turn on the modem and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
  • Next switch on the router (if a seperate device ) and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
  • Now turn on your computer, You should now be able to access the Internet.

describe exactly how all the connections are made between the Sky Router and the Laptop

terry1940

Yes that's the units dLAN Wireless Starter Kit. Have tried the "power Cycle" process but when I try to connect my laptop downstairs, it still says Limited or no connectivity. I have two pc's upstairs that pick up the Sky broadband OK. and I have connected the Develo unit to the router, and installed the other unit downstairs, but still it will not connect properly. When I first installed Develo units when I was with Virgin, they worked fine. I have even reinstalled the Develo CD. I'm 71yrs old and stummped!!!

etaf

Wayne
you mean this product - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-1409-dLAN-Wireless-N-Starter/dp/B00472MMC6/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_1_2 - just want to make sure we have the correct unit

need to just to estblish if we are extending the ethernet and connecting by cable to the laptop
OR
if we are using the device to create a seperate wireless network from the devolo
OR
if we are using an range extender -

they seem to do all the products - do you have the exact model

http://www.devolo.co.uk/consumer/dlan-mains-supply-network-via-powerline.html?l=en

terry1940

Ok, so I have broadband working on my Pcs upstairs OK. So I have a cable from the modem into the Develo unit which is plugged into the mains wall socket. Downstairs I have the other Develo unit plugged into the downstairs Mains socket, so the laptop should pick up the signal wireless, which it does, so I get five bars on Develo when I look at list of wireless connections, as soon as I choose Develo to connect to it goes through the search and connects to Develo, but only two bars now show and it tells me "limited or no connectivity" I think I may need a Hammer!

etaf

Wayne
I think I may need a Hammer!
sounds like a plan

what wireless security are you using on the Develo ?

Can you post the exact model ? heres a user manual
http://www.devolo.co.uk/consumer/dlan-200-av-wireless-n/pdf/manual-dlan-200-av-wireless-n-en.pdf

can you connect a cable between the Develo unit and the PC - lets see if its actually connected to the router correctly

can we also see the following information
ipconfig /all and three ping tests

ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy
Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste

Ping Tests
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

Start> Run {search bar in Vista/W7}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
Ping {plus the number thats shown against the default gateway shown in above ipconfig /all}
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping google.com
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping 209.183.226.152
post back results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste
For your information only
these tests will check various stages of the connection, the first ping test, ping default gateway checks to see if you still have a connection to the router the next two
Ping google.com & Ping 209.183.226.152 tests the connection to internet , one by name and one by number which checks that the dns is working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online