Test Hardware for failure??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Don_P

I have recently installed xp after my system crashed. I found one of RAM cards to be faulty. I reinstalled XP but have my system restarts every so often, more so when I am installing applications but sometimes just randomly.

Is there anything I can do to test motherboard/processor - I have ran a RAM test and it had no problems for the remaining memory card

However, I noticed that if I were to put the RAM into one of the other two slots - the computer will not start up at all.

I'm pretty sure this is hardware related - because of new xp install, but any suggestions to confirm?

cheers

maybe, one of your memory slots are damaged, i had this problem with compaq presario 6000 series...
just that the pc lost power randomly

bonk

Banned
could be a heat issue or maybe powersupply

Check that all the fans are running including the powersupply one and that the inside is not clogged with dust.

Don_P

hmmm, i doubt it - it is a ga-k8nsnxp motherboard - comp works fine - now just seems to be when installing (processor intensive).

I will switch power supply tommorow - see how it works

thanks for advice - was playing poker in town - thats why i never got back sooner

cheers

Don_P said:
I will switch power supply tommorow - see how it works
That's the first place I would have looked. What PSU do you currently have installed? You need at least a 500W supply (from a well known vendor) for the system to operate properly.

Don_P

I have switched the power supply. It still has same problem. Generally, if i came across this, it would have been something I would have tried, but it was due to the RAM failures and then video card errors i received that caused me to reinstall windows. (is 500w)

I cleaned the processor fan as well, it was dusty, I am going to try to repair install xp just now, dont know why, pulling at straws. Last thing i will try will be a new hard drive. If that dont work, then I think it will have to be junked.

I'll try another power supply as well. Just wish I knew someone with a 754 motherboard - could test the processor.

Cheers guys

The fact that you have problems with the other memory slots is a good indication that the mobo is faulty. The stick of RAM you said is faulty - did you test it on it's own in the same slot that the current chip is in?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online