1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Testing a Monitor for Defects

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dukane, Dec 6, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Dukane

Dukane Thread Starter

Here are some monitor testing apps:

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/free-ways-to-test-your-monitor/
    https://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortname/monitor_screens.html

I don't need to adjust color, contrast, brightness, etc. I've got an older
    monitor that looks good. I want to test this monitor for actual defects.

Ocassionally, when I minimize a fully maximized window my Desktop
    icons briefly vanish. I'm guessing it lasts about 500ms. (That's 1/2 of a
    second.) I started to notice this problem a few months ago.

Is there an app that will tell me if this monitor is beginning to fail?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    A monitor (ie: hardware issue) isn't going to make your icons disappear. You would get some kind of display issue on part or all of the screen...NOT a particular item being displayed on the screen To the monitor, everything displayed on the screen is just a single signal (ie: all or nothing).

Your issue sounds like some sort of refresh issue with the desktop (ie: OS). If you have a lot of icons, or icons which contain/use a lot of storage space (ie: such as putting programs or ZIP files on the desktop > NOT recommended at all), issues such as this can occur. Could be any number of things, high cpu usage, high HDD usage, a failing HDD, etc..

bassfisher6522 likes this.
  3. Dukane

Dukane Thread Starter

Never seen a problem like this before. I thought it might be Windows, but it's a very
    consistent problem. I can almost predict when it's going to occur. That's why I started
    to think about this aging monitor.

I build Desktops and I just upgraded several components, including an advanced cooling
    system. Everything runs much cooler. The CPU and HDDs are new.

I like a very spartan Desktop. No wallpaper. Just simple and bright icons against a black
    background. There are twelve icons on my Desktop. It's very uncluttered!

I just realized the same refresh problem occurs with a lengthy menu. The menu will seem
    to blink or momentarily vanish.

It would be nice if a single installed app or a Windows process triggered this problem.
    I'll never find the cause by guessing. I need a good Windows diagnostic app. Can you
    recommend one?

4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

I got you beat on a desktop.........mine is a dual monitor.

Screenshot (4).png

As for your issue; my guess would be the aging monitor itself. They do go bad. As for testing for hardware issues in a monitor with an app......afraid there is none that I know of.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice