1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Testing DSLAM connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dogangoko, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dogangoko

dogangoko Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm trying to develop a software, which will also test the connection between the router and the DSLAM of service provider. How can i achieve this ?

I'm asking the networking part of this project, can it be achieved by pinging some ips or is it about sychronizing the signal with DSLAM.

Thanks, !
    B.R
    ~~Gokhan

2. O111111O

O111111O

DSLAM is typically deployed layer 2. So, you're going to have an extremely difficult time testing it from the client end. Many times, what you "ping" from the client to the remote end, the remote end IP is one hop "north" of the DSLAM. Usually an OHC interface, router, OSM, or somesuch.

About the only thing you may be able to try is VRF aware traceroute. Depending on the ISP's policy, it will show you MPLS labels.

-----

Now, if you're trying to do this from the provider end...... All SNMP.

3. dogangoko

dogangoko Thread Starter

hi, thanks for your answer.

as far as i understood this vrf command is applicable to cisco hardware, but the DSLAM i'm working on is ALCATEL. So can it have any other command or is it standart ?

B.R

~~Gokhan

4. O111111O

O111111O

Agh, I had actually SSH'd into work and typed you up a nice long response to show you the difference! Spell check truncated it. :(

VRF is really an MPLS think. It's the virtual routing/forwarding instance (layer 3, IP's n' such). The MPLS network takes the VRF LABEL and moves it through the network based on it's LABEL (Layer 2).

DSLAM is layer1/layer2 device. The "front end" (end facing the client) is usually pretty transparent to the end user.

Basically, from your side of the network. You don't see the "management" interface of the DSLAM. To you, the DSLAM is entirely a Layer2 device. Usually the IP address your client router uses as a default gateway is a Layer3 interface that's many miles away (i.e. at the headend), possibly multiple Layer2 hops behind your DSLAM.

If you can reach the "managment" interface of the DSLAM in question, you can monitor it all day long with SNMP. Otherwise, you're out of luck.

Sorry.

5. dogangoko

dogangoko Thread Starter

Hi

Thanks so much for your answer again :) Oh, these spell checks.. never mind them ehe..

Now i'll research if i can reach the "management" interface of the DSLAM or not, then i'll see how lucky i'm.

Best Regards.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice