"Testing Files" prior to burn????

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

I have a problem/query with Nero and burning disks which may have a simple solution.

Sometimes when I have amassed a collection of mp3's or JPEGS etc to burn onto a CDR/CDRW it often comes up with an error during the burn which halts the process during the burn. This error is caused as far as I can ascertain by a corrupted file within the collection, which on looking at the File listing is not obvious - i.e it has an expected size etc

Only through trial and error and several wasted disks, have I been able to isolate the file which causes the problem, remove it and then the burn progresses without problem.

My question is: Is there someway I can test my collections for "file integrity" prior to starting the burn and wasting a disk?

Any suggestion to the above or whatever else may be the problem appreciated!

:)

Before actually doing a burn of your files, check "test and burn". This process will take 2x longer however may prevent useless cd disc

thanks for replying buddydeano,

On my copy of Nero, Test & Test and Burn are blanked out with no obvious way to select them. Are they features that come on an all singing version of Nero? Mine came with the CD writer.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'd obtain something to test the integrety of the MP3 files. The ones I find usually won't convert to audio tracks are the low bitrate ones. I personally don't keep anything below 128kbits, and it's been a long time since I've seen one that doesn't burn. I also run them through MP3Trim and regenerate the CRC's and VBR seek info before burning. I also send them through the excellent and free http://www.geocities.com/mp3gain/ to normalize them much more accurately than the simple peak sampling that most programs do.

Thanks guys for your replies.

johnwill,

Most of the time it is not mp3 files which give me problems, its a JPEG or some other file I have copied over from a directory or something. The general test function buddydeano mentioned sounds like what I need access to - anybody know how I get access to that?

I have ran in the same problem with some of the options grayed out. when I worked for the school district they would get new Dell's and they would have a "barebones" burning software on them (In this case it was Easy CD Creator 5). Maybe Nero might have a an upgrade for this at a cheaper price then buying a newer full version? I know the Easy CD Creator did.
Good Luck
TK

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I can't imagine why a JPG file would ever fail, it's just treated as data! The only "decoding" that Nero does is for audio or video files, then the integrity of the file is significant. For data files, it just stuffs them onto the CD media without worrying about their quality.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online