1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Testing Files" prior to burn????

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by avatar1, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. avatar1

I have a problem/query with Nero and burning disks which may have a simple solution.

Sometimes when I have amassed a collection of mp3's or JPEGS etc to burn onto a CDR/CDRW it often comes up with an error during the burn which halts the process during the burn. This error is caused as far as I can ascertain by a corrupted file within the collection, which on looking at the File listing is not obvious - i.e it has an expected size etc

Only through trial and error and several wasted disks, have I been able to isolate the file which causes the problem, remove it and then the burn progresses without problem.

My question is: Is there someway I can test my collections for "file integrity" prior to starting the burn and wasting a disk?

Any suggestion to the above or whatever else may be the problem appreciated!

:)

2. buddydeano

buddydeano

Before actually doing a burn of your files, check "test and burn". This process will take 2x longer however may prevent useless cd disc

3. avatar1

thanks for replying buddydeano,

On my copy of Nero, Test & Test and Burn are blanked out with no obvious way to select them. Are they features that come on an all singing version of Nero? Mine came with the CD writer.

4. buddydeano

buddydeano

Sorry friend cannot help you on that, maybe someone else can...good luck

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd obtain something to test the integrety of the MP3 files. The ones I find usually won't convert to audio tracks are the low bitrate ones. I personally don't keep anything below 128kbits, and it's been a long time since I've seen one that doesn't burn. I also run them through MP3Trim and regenerate the CRC's and VBR seek info before burning. I also send them through the excellent and free http://www.geocities.com/mp3gain/ to normalize them much more accurately than the simple peak sampling that most programs do.

6. avatar1

Thanks guys for your replies.

johnwill,

Most of the time it is not mp3 files which give me problems, its a JPEG or some other file I have copied over from a directory or something. The general test function buddydeano mentioned sounds like what I need access to - anybody know how I get access to that?

7. Anton Wan

Anton Wan

I have ran in the same problem with some of the options grayed out. when I worked for the school district they would get new Dell's and they would have a "barebones" burning software on them (In this case it was Easy CD Creator 5). Maybe Nero might have a an upgrade for this at a cheaper price then buying a newer full version? I know the Easy CD Creator did.
    Good Luck
    TK

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I can't imagine why a JPG file would ever fail, it's just treated as data! The only "decoding" that Nero does is for audio or video files, then the integrity of the file is significant. For data files, it just stuffs them onto the CD media without worrying about their quality.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice