1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Testing HDD on Dell Inspiron 1545

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cwwozniak, Feb 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. managed

managed Allan

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

I did find the metal caddy and snapped it onto the thinner replacement drive. I discovered that the back end of drive sat lower in the slot and was tilted enough to not make a good connection to sockets at the other end. I ended up having to file the cover's side mounting holes into oblong shapes and putting about a 1.5 mm plastic shim between the metal caddy and the tabs sticking out of the cover. The drive assembly is barely held in with one of the bottom retaining screws. The screws are not quite long enough to fully engage in the raised drive housing.

A 64-bit version of Windows 10 installed with no problems and all of the drivers from the installer seem to be working correctly. Dell does not offer any Windows 10 drivers for this particular Inspiron model.

3. managed

managed Allan

I think the caddy is designed for 'standard' 9mm thick laptop hard drives.
    As long as the cover attached to the caddy can't be pulled out it should be ok.
    If I recall correctly my install of 10 64 bit found all the drivers too.

I hope the owner appreciates your work. (y)

cwwozniak likes this.
  4. cwwozniak

I got a nice thank you and he bought lunch for me.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  5. managed

managed Allan

That's nice !

6. Gr3iz

Gr3iz Mark

Chuck, last I knew, the UBCD had WD (as well as other mfr) diags on it.

7. cwwozniak

Mark, the last I read was that UBCD did not have full SATA support and might work if the SATA controller was able to be set to IDE compatibility mode. The Dell's BIOS had choices of SATA and ATA. I thought that IDE and ATA were very similar but might have some differences.

8. managed

managed Allan

In case anyone wants to know I tried SeaTools for Dos on my 1545 and it sees the HDD and the slow test runs if the Bios is set to ATA (which is the same as IDE I think). I didn't try the long test but that should work too.

There's a bootable Iso you can burn to a CD here http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-dos-master/

It will test any make of HDD not just Seagate.

9. cwwozniak

Thank you for the Seagate link. I didn't know it made a bootable disc.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1184821