1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Testing Network Speed from Server to Server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by powella, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. powella

powella Thread Starter

I'm very knew to the networking scene in my job and I'd like to know if there is a way to test the speed that a file could be transfered from server to server. For example, the file is located on the Brisbane server (\\brisbane) and I would like to transfer it to the Mackay server (\\mackay) located 1000+km away. This file is approx 630MB and I don't want to slow the network traffic down too much so I need to know how long it will take to transfer.

2. O111111O

O111111O

Bandwidth Delay Product. Microsoft file shares HATE IT.

Regardless of bandwidth, a TCP connection will require a larger receive window for longer latency. The higher the latency, the slower your file transfer will be.

1000+ KM is easily 40-70ms in latency. Using Windows file copy you could very much expect a 1-2mbps transfer rate with standard Microsoft TCP windowing - regardless of your bandwidth.

A VERY VERY good benchmark, and way to determine what your TCP window should be is IPERF. It's SOP for our network team to test WAN connections & such with this tool. http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/

If you search this forum, there are some other articles about this. There's also a tool to help you make registry changes for Windows to increase the TCP window size that it will use.

If you need further help. Let me know what your line speed is between locations, and what your latency is. To test this, ping -l 1472 x.x.x.x. Where x.x.x.x is the remote server IP.

I am sorry to say though - Windows requires quite a few ACK's for file access using file shares. I wouldn't expect that great of performance.

If you need to move faster than what windows will push, use SecureCopy or FTP. As a last resort, use Robocopy.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Iperf looks pretty good, I think I'll give that one a try. :)

5. O111111O

O111111O

Yep. It'll teach you by inspection & testing everything you ever wanted to know about bandwidth delay product, and TCP windowing.

With a couple of Dual processor Opteron870 w/ Infiniband adapters, we're able to "fill" OC-192/10GIG E circuits in TCP and UDP modes.

Use it all the time for "it's slow" calls.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice