Testing out a HARD DRIVE from a faulty computer to see if it works or not.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JMT74

Ok here's my situation. I have a computer that will not boot up. So I want to check the hard drive on it to see if it is the hard drive that is kaput. I have another computer. However the working computer is using an SATA cable with it's hard drive. There is however an open place to put in a 40 pin ribbon cable. Can I just take the ribbon cable out of the faulty computer and plug it into the motherboard on the working computer. Or will this cause problems? All I want to do is see if the faulty computer's have drive is junk or not.Thanks.

Make sure the old cable is an 80 wire 40 pin. The empty controller in the newer computer may also need to be turned on in the bios.

JMT74

Yes it is a 80 cable 40 pin. How do I turn this on in the BIOS. Also what should I set the jumper to on faulty hard drive? It is set to Cable select right now.

cable select is fine. If you put it at the end of the cable, it will be seen as master for that controller. If plugged into the middle connector on the cable it will be seen as slave on that controller.

The IDE controller has to be set to enabled and auto

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online