Tethering from phone the internet to laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ladagent316

I have a newer laptop with Windows 10 and when I try to tether to use the internet from my phone it ask me for a passcode and I never had to do this on my previous laptop with Windows 7. Can you help me to accomplish this on my new without a passcode?

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Is Windows or the phone asking for a passcode?
If Windows then the passcode should be under the phone’s WiFi settings, it’s akin to passphrase on a WiFi router.
Which brand of phone are you using?

ladagent316

Also Windows has to be asking for passcode and do not have one. I just hook up my phone to laptop and turn on internet by going to tethering and wifi hotspot.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Is the phone showing the message or Windows?
When tethering Windows will ask for the SSID & passphrase of the connection, same as connecting to WiFi in general.
Check on the phone for a Mobile Data setting, then check for a personal hotspot function, usually these details are there.
As it’s a cheap phone it may not have that feature.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You were most likely ask for a password on the first try on your Windows 7 machine and had it remember it.

I know on my cellphone It requires a password to access the tethering.
This prevents others from using your cellphone connection.
When you set up the Cellphone to do the tethering, you entered a password and that is the one it is wanting!

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Then you need to go into the settings on the phone and make a change to the password there.
On my cell it is
Settings, Network & Internet, Hotspot and Tethering, Setup WiFi Hotspot.
At this point there is a place to define the Hotspot name and Password.
Make the changes as needed and record them, for later use.

ladagent316

Then you need to go into the settings on the phone and make a change to the password there.
On my cell it is
Settings, Network & Internet, Hotspot and Tethering, Setup WiFi Hotspot.
At this point there is a place to define the Hotspot name and Password.
Make the changes as needed and record them, for later use.
Ok Thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online