1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Text cursor (caret) movement becomes slow

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dappawit, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dappawit

dappawit Thread Starter

On my laptop, the text cursor or caret (not the mouse pointer) zips right along normally, but every so often it slows down considerably--almost as if it is pausing to think before it moves to the next character. Once this problem appears, it appears in all programs. If I shut down all applications, it still remains. However, if I restart, the problem goes away.

Just to clarify, I am not talking about the blink rate of the cursor. I mean the movement of the text cursor up and down, left and right--either in response to the arrow keys or to typing. I have not changed any settings to cause this. For instance, my keyboard repeat rate is at the maximum. Even if there was a setting that caused it, it's one that resets every time the computer is restarted.

I am using Windows XP Professional SP3.

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions you have. Thanks.

2. dappawit

dappawit Thread Starter

I thought I'd add my specs, which somehow I forgot to put in there last time.
    RAM: 2GB
    CPU: Core 2 Duo
    This is a laptop, so of course the keyboard is integrated and not something separate that I can replace. (I don't think its a keyboard thing anyway, but I thought I'd mention it.)

(I'll only bump once, I swear :) )

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/937715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice