Text editor with features

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

johnni

I know there are a lot of free text editors out there but I am looking for one that can Search and Replace and also Sort by paragraph. I haven't found one that contains both! Any links please?

johnni

Hi johnni,

I know a good one but it's not free (35$ for the standard version) : UltraEdit.
You have many features : hex editor, syntax coloration for 8 or 9 different programing languages, can handle very large files.
I have one installed on my office computer for many years, it works fine.

johnni

Thanks Chicon, but for only occasional use I wanted a free one, and I think I have now found what I want (there may be others, too); it's called TED Notepad, free from http://jsimlo.sk/notepad/

johnni

There are certainly a lot of them. Look for Notepad2. It has quite a few more features than Notepad.

This one is very nice and feature-packed:

http://www.docpad.com/

Then, there's Edxor, MDI Notepad, Metapad (which many people like), NotepadXP (too many features, really), and many more. Easy to find in search engines.

The open source Scintilla Text Editor is popular, too.

johnni

Thanks Elvandil. I followed up some of your recommendations and was quite struck by Edxor (apart from its unpronounceable name!). Some of the ones I tried, including TED, have a size limit which can be overcome by downloading an alternative (possibly slower) version. The problem is reported to be due to Windows and thus also affects Win Notepad. However Edxor seems able to open my largest txt file without a problem so I have retained it.
Thanks again!

johnni

I liked that one, too, and used it for quite a while.

You're welcome and thanks for the response.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online