Text fields auto-filling with 000000000 . . .

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gene5tell

Gene
Hello. I have a problem that has come up within Linux Mint, though I now suspect this may be a bios problem. I admit that I am don't have the knowledge to be confident in where the problem originates.
So, I've just purchased a Teclast F7-plus a week ago with which I had planned to load Linux Mint (Cinnamon desktop), eliminating Windows 10 completely. I had no troubles loading LMint. However, once installed, I began having problems within LMint. Any text field that I navigated to (the search field in the home menu, or text fields on Firefox, or any text field on any program) would instantly begin filling with the number 0. It was as if I had clicked into the field and held down the 0 key down. I tried reinstalling LMint, and I noticed that even as I was booting from USB, I had 0000000... appearing on black screens even before I saw anything branded LMint. I have photos, if that would be helpful.
Confused, I then tried booting with a different version of LMint. This time with the Debian Edition (also Cinnamon desktop). Same issue. So I don't suspect this is a LMint issue but rather a bios issue, though I don't know what in bios would cause 00000000000 to generate randomly. Is that possible? You may ask, what have I done in bios? I've changed the boot order to allow booting from USB, and I've enabled virtualization with the hope of running VirtualBox.
This strange behavior occurs both before and after I update LMint after the new install. There is no additional software installed, and I am not trying to dual-boot this computer. I'm posting this as a Linux issue because I just wasn't sure what else to do with this. I'll happily provide any additional information that may be needed. Thanks for any thoughts you may have for me.

Gene

Once you boot into system, detach your keyboard to isolate problem with keyboard.

If still no luck, reboot system with mouse, leave keyboard detached.
Does the issue persist?

gene5tell

Gene
Once you boot into system, detach your keyboard to isolate problem with keyboard.

If still no luck, reboot system with mouse, leave keyboard detached.
Does the issue persist?
Thanks for your help. I’ll try anything, though this is a laptop and I don’t know of any way to disconnect the keyboard. Can I negate the use of the keyboard in bios? If there is some other way to remove the influence of the keyboard, please let me know. Again, thanks.

gene5tell

Gene
I'm not sure if disabling keyboard in BIOS is wise idea or even possible. be careful.

You may want to have reserve keyboard.

Following link may help:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/160945/is-there-a-way-to-disable-a-laptops-internal-keyboard
Thank you. I’ll refrain from experimenting within bios. Some of what I read in the link you provided looks promising, though even more of it looks intimidating. Regardless, it’s a start and I am grateful for your time.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Did it do the zeros thing in Windows ? Does it happen if you run a 'live' version of Linux without installing it ?
Does it happen in the Bios ? Could it simply be the zero key is stuck down ?

gene5tell

Gene
I ended up installing a different version of Linux Mint and I haven't had any issue since then. Thanks to all of you who offered your assistance.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Glad you got a working version.

Can you tell us which Mint version worked and which didn't please ? It could help someone else who gets a similar problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Staff online

Members online